Lunar Eclipse - February 20/21, 2008

A

astrostu

Thought I'd post an announcement about the eclipse next week. It will be a total lunar eclipse, the next total one not taking place until December 21, 2010.

The entire eclipse will be visible from Western Europe, Western Africa, South America, and East- and Mid-North America. The eclipse will not be visible at all from Australia and its surrounding islands, nor Asia East of India.

The eclipse starts at about 00:39 GMT on February 21. So those of you West of GMT, it starts on February 20. I point this out because it would be unfortunate if you miss it due to a simple time zone mix-up. Note that the effects of the eclipse won't start to become apparent for about an hour after it starts (the difference between a penumbral and umbral eclipse ...).

NASA's webpage on the eclipse can be viewed here.

I have created (with the help of some forum members) a guide on how to photograph the eclipse, which can be downloaded here.

Thanks Stu. I just sharpied it on my wall calendar. BTW, I downloaded the guide the other day, but haven't had a chance to peruse it yet. Tasked it for this weekend. Thanks for all your effort.

Thanks for the reminder and in depth info. Will be looking out for it in a week and hoping it's not -40!!!

Damn, I wont be able to see it. Oh well, we had one last year so I cant complain.

Awesome, I was wondering when the next one would be.

I'm in oklahoma and a little confused with the time zone chnge from GMT (I am not familar with what that means)

you wouldn't happen to know the time and date for my area would you?
or atleast a means of an explanation so that i may be able to figure it myself.

Thanks

SCHNOOBS
world clock (turn off the annoying ticking). Put the mouse over your part of the world and click.

I was really looking forward to this and now the forcast is rain for wednesday night! I might try anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back