MacBook Pro Retina display for editing

Vince.1551

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently had a bad experience editing photos with my new MacBook Pro Retina (late 2014 model) and screen calibrated.

The colours look great on my screen with complex tonal blacks looking amazing.

The horrors came when I found out how they appeared on other non-retina screens (even on iPhone with retina screen. Turning off auto-brightness helps a little). Luminosity and contrast when off the scale. Tones looked horrible even when it still looked superb on my MacBook.

So just a word of caution. Be wary where your final image is meant to display when you process with a retina screen. Best to double-check it on a non-retina display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's strange - I do quite a lot of editing on my Macbook Pro with Retina display (uncalibrated) and mine appear fine on non-retina displays.

Are you sure your calibration went correctly? Might it be worth a recalibration?

I used the built-in calibration software. Which worked well with my previous 2011 macbook. I also have a matte screen protector attached to remove glare.

The difference were almost immediately noticeable when l do a screen mirror on a LED TV or on other calibrated monitors. (The TVs are calibrated for judging international photo competitions.) Other devices can't seems to reproduce the tonal range of a retina display. This is frustrating as I do send my photos for these int comps regularly and they look like crap straight out of my MacBook. I gotta use screen mirror on another device to edit now. What an irony ...

I used the built-in calibration software. Which worked well with my previous 2011 macbook. I also have a matte screen protector attached to remove glare.

I would not consider that calibrated. The built in calibration is done by eye and is simply not very good. You need to use a calibration device like a color monkey or spider. That Matt screen protector could also be messing things up.

Yes Tinder I'm going to get one of those.

Below is a sample of what it is which I tried to replicate on phone:

What I see in my MacBook :

What actually appears on other devices (the whites are actually much worst and blown)

and? What was it?

Last edited:
Apple's inbuilt colour management system is not effective for retina displays in my case.

Spyder 4 resolved it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back