Macro - 2nd try (Bee and Skipper butterfly)

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
After learned from forum members here (thanks Overread), I tried it again yesterday.

The photos was taken at noon time (cloudy day) with flash hand held with my left hand (light modified by the better bounce card and trigger with a radio trigger)
I ordered the reflector, the one that mount on the lens, but have not arrive yet. So I use flash this time.

What do you think? Better than last Bee photos?

Bee - 100mm, F/10, 1/125, ISO 250, hand held

3725911687_f11a69b7cb_o.jpg

Skipper - 100mm, F/10, 1/125, ISO 250, handheld

3726702934_5e2c894098_o.jpg

The first is looking good to me, although there are some bright spots that give the flash away. I think you've got a bit of camera shake in the second one, at 100mm on a cropped sensor, the general rule is to stick to 1/160s and above.

the first shot looks awesome.
i think the second picture looks a bit "empty" ... could've filled the frame by zooming in more. but then again i'm no expert =)

What do you think? Better than last Bee photos?
Do you mean this one?

Yes Sam, that was the one. The last photo, I use F/2.8 aperture and so the DoF is so shadow that only the bee head is in focus. This time, I use F/10. And since it was a cloudy day, so I need to bump the ISO up to 250 and use a flash.

I think, I really need to keep trying practice more.

are these pictures taken with just the 100mm macro lens? No extensions, no teleconverters, de nada? Also, what lens and camera did you use?

I cant wait till i get to try out my Tamron 90mm Di now... agh!!!! Flying home tomorrow with it held snuggly in my hands!

are these pictures taken with just the 100mm macro lens? No extensions, no teleconverters, de nada? Also, what lens and camera did you use?

I cant wait till i get to try out my Tamron 90mm Di now... agh!!!! Flying home tomorrow with it held snuggly in my hands!

The photos were taken with the older Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 macro lens (non-usm) I bought it used recently and was mounted on a Canon 40D. No tele nor extension.

The Tamron 90mm is a GREAT lens and is very sharp as well. I am sure you will like it.

Sweet! i cant wait till i get home!!! Another 4 hours till my flight!!!!!

Most reactions

Back