Macro and Portrait Lens?

PrestonS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to find a lens that can do macro and portrait work. If such a thing is possible. I know I might not get the best of both worlds but there is not room in the budget for both.

I'm currently shooting a Nikon D90

Current candidates:
Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Micro Nikkor
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro Nikkor
Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro Nikkor
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Undecided if I want to stay on the 60mm side or get a bit more zoom with the 105. Remember this is on a crop D90 sensor. Would like some pleasing bokeh for portrait shots if possible.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I have a Sigma 50mm macro that I use for portraits and I love it! You can check out my Flikr, most of my pictures were done with it.

Any of those lenses should allow you to shoot macro or portraits.

I feel like the 105 would be tight for portraits. It would put you ~150mm equivalent with the crop sensor. I think a 60mm would be good balance putting you at the 90mm equivalent range which is close to the 85mm that is so common for portraits on full frame sensors. Just my $0.02

I actually use my 180/3.5 Macro for portraits, on my D300s crop body. It's tight, but the bokeh and blurred background are just phenomenal. I'd go for the 150/2.8OS. But, if you want something shorter, any would work. I'd go for the Nikon 105 VR out of the ones listed, though.

Mark

I've shoot portraits with my 70-200 (on a crop sized sensor) and while I don't always shoot at out 200mm....I probably would if I could. It's only too tight if you can't or don't want to back up.

I'd add all the 3rd party macro lens to that list as they are all quite nice.

I like my tokina 100mm f2.8 macro very much for all shooting. The nice thing about macro is your never too close to your subject! Well almost never.

5313847330_1aa4773e11_z.jpg

5313855174_173d649998_z.jpg

5313697987_85a8816fc8_z.jpg

5883696296_0c34b28147_z.jpg

5883693040_503082052e_z.jpg

You need to consider the Tamron 90mm 2.8 aswell, it is a cheap lens and it is brilliant for portraits and macro shots.

If you don't believe me, ask SchwettyLens. He loves his!

I've shoot portraits with my 70-200 (on a crop sized sensor) and while I don't always shoot at out 200mm....I probably would if I could. It's only too tight if you can't or don't want to back up.

+1

I'm luvn' the 70-200
bigthumb.gif

You need to consider the Tamron 90mm 2.8 aswell, it is a cheap lens and it is brilliant for portraits and macro shots.

Yes, Tamron 90mm macro...good lens....I have one...it has pretty good bokeh.

I have a Sigma 50mm macro that I use for portraits and I love it! You can check out my Flikr, most of my pictures were done with it.

Im sold, that pic with the girl with her shirt open and the guy has his thumb hooked on her pants, its hot!

Yes, Tamron 90mm macro...good lens....I have one...it has pretty good bokeh.

I didn't know you were part of the Tammy 90 Club, Derrel?

This is yet more proof, this lens should be seriously considered Preston. Two top shooters love it!

Definitely go with something around 90-105 because shorter focal lengths don't give you much working room for macro, especially near 1:1 for bugs and flower parts, and the longer macros like the 180's may flatten faces more than you would like.

Definitely go with something around 90-105 because shorter focal lengths don't give you much working room for macro, especially near 1:1 for bugs and flower parts, and the longer macros like the 180's may flatten faces more than you would like.
Yup, that plus the possibility of getting smaller depth of field when shooting portraits with the 105.

Most reactions

Back