Macro Extension Tubes

blueguy20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking into Macro extension tubes and they seem great for getting that frame filling shot for a subject. I just cant seem to distinguish a good set from the rest. I was looking at the: Zeikos AF Macro Extension Tube Set - 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm Tube

and

Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Nikon AF Mount.

Any suggestions or comments?

As far as I can tell, just make sure you get ones with the electrical contacts. Otherwise, you won't be able to set your aperture unless you have a manual lens. Since there isn't any glass in them, one set won't degrade image quality more or less than another. I personally have these:

Amazon.com: Opteka Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube Set for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

They do great for my needs. It seems that the main reason for price differences between brands is the build quality. That being said, I'm still very pleased with mine.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally have several brands of extension tubes. Canon, Kenko, and Pro-optic. I honestly don't pay any attention to which ones I grab. They all work well for my needs.

As far as I can tell, just make sure you get ones with the electrical contacts. Otherwise, you won't be able to set your aperture unless you have a manual lens. Since there isn't any glass in them, one set won't degrade image quality more or less than another. I personally have these:

Amazon.com: Opteka Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube Set for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

They do great for my needs. It seems that the main reason for price differences between brands is the build quality. That being said, I'm still very pleased with mine.

To set the aperture with extension tubes that don't have electrical contacts you can set the aperture on the camera, hold in the depth of field button and while keeping in on the button remove the lens from the camera. The aperture will be set. Now just screw the lens on your tubes...

To set the aperture with extension tubes that don't have electrical contacts you can set the aperture on the camera, hold in the depth of field button and while keeping in on the button remove the lens from the camera. The aperture will be set. Now just screw the lens on your tubes...

In addition to this technique, you can also buy a reverse ring and set aperture using the same method. ( Reverse rings are probably around $10 )

So there is no ideal or preferred brand or set of extension tubes? Just a pick and choose assortment of brands and sets?

Provided that they have the electrical contacts there shouldn't be any problem with different brand extension tubes at all. Optically speaking they are just empty tubes so image quality is 100% equal across the board for them.

Kenko are popular because the brand is well known and the build quality is known to be very good (in fact I know some who own Kenko and Canon (overpriced) tubes who think that the canon could even be rebranded kenkos the build is so similar). Other brands can be more limited because fewer have heard of them and so can't vouch for things such as build quality.

I have a cheap set of extension tubes that do the job just fine, but the build quality is below par: they're fairly tricky to get on and off. As others have said, image quality doesn't depend on the quality of the extension tubes, but you might want to pay more for durability and ease-of-use.

Have those, and they should work fine.

Little rule of thumb is the cheaper ones don't have the electronical contacts normally. I have the set of Kenko extension tubes, they were $200 but worth it if you are new to macro like I am.

is there any formula that says a Xmm tube with increase the macro by 1:Y?

For example, my 70mm lens does 1:2.7 I'd like to get a little more reach to get it down to at least 1:1. What would I need in that case?

Little rule of thumb is the cheaper ones don't have the electronical contacts normally. I have the set of Kenko extension tubes, they were $200 but worth it if you are new to macro like I am.
The ones for $24.90 have electrical contacts...

Most reactions

Back