Macro Lens vs Non-Macro Lens?

Stamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I'm searching through Sigma's website looking at lenses, I'm noticing that some are 70mm-300mm with macro, and others are the same focal length without macro.... What's the deal?

Macro lenses have a 1:1 ratio, meaning that the image will be the same size as the actual object being shot.

Macro lenses have a 1:1 ratio, meaning that the image will be the same size as the actual object being shot.

That doesn't make sense to me... The scale of an object varies by the distance and zoom used. Can you or someone else elaborate?

People often refer to true Macro lens to lens that have 1:1 ratio (or even better). Some other zoom lens that claim to be a macro lens often has 1:2 (or even smaller) They are just able to focus closer.

So lenses with similar focal length (or range), the one with macro most likely can focus closer than the the one without macro.

Yes, sorry, should have also mentioned the distance that the lens can focus from is a big factor as well.

So if you had the option of getting a 70mm-200mm with macro for the same price as a similar lens without macro, getting the macro lens is the way to go?

So if you had the option of getting a 70mm-200mm with macro for the same price as a similar lens without macro, getting the macro lens is the way to go?

Depends on your needs. Because it says macro doesn't mean it's higher quality.... with Sigma you want to look for EX build and APO glass if you're looking for their highest quality.

Edit.. I don't see a 70-200mm on Sigma's site that isn't listed as Macro. Their current 70-200mm line is EX APO and Macro.. looks like that's your only option.

It is a personal choice. Someone may choose the one that has a better optical performance or better build ..... or like you said, the one with macro.

But usually a lot of macro shooter will opt for dedicated macro lens. (usually is a fix focal length lens rather than a zoom lens.)

However, some other people may choose the route with a good macro filter or extension tube and pair it with a good lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back