Macro Lens Vs. Standard Lens

LOL, yeah, they say you can always spot the die-hard macro guys because when everyone else is enjoying the architecture or landscape, they're looking down at the ground :)

Dragon flies tend to sit still after a while. It gives you ample time to photograph them. My last attempt though I moved slightly before clicking and the autofocus couldn't keep up. It wasn't the eyes in focus but the dragonfly's tail, and I didn't realise till I got home >_<

Macrophotography is hard, it requires patience to do, I highly recommend a tripod or a flash unit or both to go with it but once you master it you'll fell like nothing else in life matters anymore :D And you will quite literally look at the world through different eyes: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1422/1048970286_6f09ea4fc9_b.jpg

Well I plan on getting a tripod and flash, but one thing at a time. As they say, Rome wasn't built (or photographed) in a day :)

Tcimages,
Are these all bugs captured with the 100mm macro? I have made up my mind to go for this lens.

You can get macro lenses in a bunch of different focal lengths... I personally shoot a Nikon 2.8 105 VR (if you are buying a Nikon 105, buy the older non-VR version by the way) simply because I shoot a lot of bugs with it... and bugs are less likely to move (or sting you) if you are a bit farther away.

Here's one from Sunday.

DSC_0311.jpg

Nice pic.
So if you were to try and take that kind of pic with a standard lens, what kind of output would you get?

What do you consider a "standard lens"?

Most people would call a 50mm a standard lens, and the answer is that honestly, I have no idea. I don't own one.

LOL, yeah, they say you can always spot the die-hard macro guys because when everyone else is enjoying the architecture or landscape, they're looking down at the ground :)

You're so right. I get some weird looks sometimes. It's like being a kid again, chasing insects.

Tcimages,
Are these all bugs captured with the 100mm macro? I have made up my mind to go for this lens.

Yes. They are all taken with the 100mm. You wont be dissapointed. BTW- It makes a fabulous portrait lens and it it allows infinity focus.

What do you consider a "standard lens"?

Most people would call a 50mm a standard lens, and the answer is that honestly, I have no idea. I don't own one.

AFAIK the common understanding of a "standard" lens is one that, being neither wide-angle nor telephoto, gives a similar angle of view to human vision. By that criteria, for 35mm film a standard lens is a 50mm lens (or a bit less according to some), for an "APS-C" sensor it's just over 30mm, and for a 6x6cm negative it's about an 80mm, for example.

In this case though I think the OP was using "standard" in a more general sense to refer to the kit lens, that being the standard lens that comes with the camera.

You're so right. I get some weird looks sometimes. It's like being a kid again, chasing insects.

Yep... except now using a glass lens to photograph them rather than to incinerate them :lol:

Correct Zaphod.
When saying Standard lens I'm talking about the lens that normally comes with the kit. In this case, 18-55mm Canon lens. If you look on there website, they even identify these as "standard lenses"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back