Macro Lens

cosmicsport

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am planing now to add an Macro lens and would love to here your opinion.
It should be affordable(not over $1000)

I am looking at the the
a) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
b) Tamron SP AF 180mm F3.5 Di 1:1 Macro for Canon

I use it for taking dental photography and Insects and Flowers. I would like to achieve a nice large magnification.
When you also have recommendations for a flash please let me know.

Thanks a lot

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 180 seems a bit long for dental photography, even on a full-frame body, more so on a non-full-frame. How small is the area you would photograph? If one or two teeth, then the 180 might be OK, but if a full mouth, you would find yourself backing up quite a bit. Of course, for insects the 180 probably would be better, so you may need to compromise, and it might be a good idea to try out at least one of these focal lengths in your office.

The Canon 100 f2.8 is a wonderful lens if the focal length suits your needs.

Other option being tokina 100mm macro... I've read nought but glowing reviews ..

(I'm debating between Canon or tokina 100s right now for my t3i...

if you want to go super el cheapo, and you're not worried about a little bit of CA, get those lens filter screw on macro adapters for your 50mm f1.8

Sigma 150mm OS macro is really nice as well, and right around $1k I believe.

Although cheaper have you looked at the Tamron 90mm? I am very happy with this results of this lens.

I have Canons 100 usm F2.8 and its a fantastic lens , very sharp even wide open. But I long for a 180 when working with insects. But for a more general purpose the 100 may be easier to use. The 100 works very well with a TC but will cause more noticable CA. Im not sure what dental photography involves but you may be able to get by with a standard lens like a 50 or 85? You can also increase your magnification using a TC and or extension tubes on a macro lens to go beyond 1:1.

Most reactions

Back