Macro Lens

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is a decnt macro lens and what do they typically cost. I am thinking of getting one but not sure how much I will use it and if its worth it.

It all depends on what you plan to shoot. You can buy a 50mm macro for a few hundred, a 100mm macro for around $600-800, or a 180mm macro for $1000 or more.

Or you could buy a 50mm lens and a cheap set of extension tubes.

What do you plan to photograph?

I would look to photograph things such as a doorknob, bolt, maybe a rock, simple things. What do the different focal lengths do to a macro lens?

Cheapest way to go is a set of 'Proxar's' -- simple lenses which look like curved plain filters. They come in 1, 2 and 3 diopter strengths. Next step up are extension tubes. Both are far cheaper than buying a new lens.

Torus34 said:
Cheapest way to go is a set of 'Proxar's' -- simple lenses which look like curved plain filters. They come in 1, 2 and 3 diopter strengths. Next step up are extension tubes. Both are far cheaper than buying a new lens.
I have to agree.
It doesn't sound like you're wanting to do true macro work. Just 'close-ups'? If that's the case, go with the filters. You can get a set on ebay for $10-$20. If you want the ability to be a little more serious and retain better image quality, go with the extension tubes.

Most reactions

Back