What's new

Beginning Macro Photography

mbibb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 12, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, Texas - USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Interested in getting more involved with Macro photography. I have experience with Nikon gear and my main goto is a NIKON P1000 for lunar and outdoor photography. I am aware of the limitations of this camera (fixed lens, small sensor, etc) and have decided to invest in some gear more appropriate for macro. Looking for suggestions/guidance on the best approach for beginner to intermediate experience with Macro, and is going full frame the best way to get started?
 
Interested in getting more involved with Macro photography. I have experience with Nikon gear and my main goto is a NIKON P1000 for lunar and outdoor photography. I am aware of the limitations of this camera (fixed lens, small sensor, etc) and have decided to invest in some gear more appropriate for macro. Looking for suggestions/guidance on the best approach for beginner to intermediate experience with Macro, and is going full frame the best way to get started?
No going FF is not the best way to get started. You need an interchangeable lens camera and ideally for macro a mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras have two big advantages that matter for macro: First focus peaking. You can enlarge the viewfinder image for critical focus. Second you can adapt just about any lens.
 
You don't need full frame to do decent macro, but there are more lens options on FF.

I'd concentrate on the lens; a good lens will make more difference in quality than frame size.

You can start with a few hundred $ for used systems or go all in for a few thousand in state of the art. lol.

My first macro shots I was just taking my 50mm lens off and reversing it on the body. Hand holding it in the very beginning until I got a reversing mounting ring.

If you want to stick with Nikon gear look for a 105mm macro. The better level is going to run you over $800 new. Lower tier models start around $250 used from MPB.com and such places. Nikon and Sigma 105's are rated quite well for their sharpness. Cannon has some top 100mm for macro as well.

Newer lens will have image stabilization that older models won't. I shoot all manual on an older 105 macro so don't know how well that works. Of course, newer lens means newer body so more $.

A ring flash will do wonders if you are shooting in the field with live plants/bugs/etc. Static items on a desktop studio a light box will do. I use a Godox ring flash, you can tune the power on each half of the ring to bring out shadows better.
 
Macro is difficult. I've dabbled in it. Cheapest way is to reverse a 50mm lens with a special adapter. You'll need alot of light so a specialized macro flash is a must.

Next step up, you can get a macro lens. That would be less painful than a reverse lens.

I suggest you look at camera bodies with future general use in mind and then get a macro lens for that. Macro is hard and you may want to do other things later on.

A full frame body is heavy and requires large heavy lenses. An ASP-C crop sensor body would be more nimble. Even more nimble would be a micro 4/3 sensor in a mirrorless body. Less weight is your friend for macro. A low budget ASP-C entry point camera could be an older Canon T3i body ($150) with a used Canon macro EF 100mm USM lens ($300). If you want a nicer ASP-C Canon body a used T6i or 80D would be a step up without breaking the bank.

I learned a lot watching macro photographers on Youtube. That might be your best source of info to figure out what you want to buy.
 
Last edited:
If you are dead set on full frame and want to stick with Nikon then Z8 +MC105 is definitely the way to go. Have a look at my posts and make your mind up if that is the type of results you are looking for.
Macro will inevitably lead to Focus Stacking so leave some budget for Helicon Focus or similar software as Photoshop / Affinity / Luminar etc produce inferior results.
Examples:
Robin
Hornet
Southern Hawker Dragonfly
Damselfly
Butterfly
Ladybird
Pencils focus stack
If you have any questions let me know.

CHEERS
JBO
 
You don't need full frame to do decent macro, but there are more lens options on FF.
I agree with most of the rest of your post (I have no experience of Nikon macro lenses) but any lens used for macro on FF can be used on crop bodies too.
IIRC there are some interconnectability issues between Canon FF & crop lenses due to potential mirror fouling but adding extension solves that issue. Certainly Nikon FF lenses work fine on Nikon crop bodies. Switching between mounts is made a lot easier when doing macro, even lenses that can't focus to infinity on a body & don't fully cover the sensor can be made to work.

However I don't think a whole new camera system is required to get started in macro (it may be desirable later).

Adding a high quality diopter to the front of your existing camera will allow quality macro shooting.
This can be a reversed camera lens of normal or moderate wide angle focal length(held in place with a coupling ring), or a 'close-up filter'.
Raynox clip on diopters are a good option being 3 element achromats (single element close up accessories are far inferior) I find the weaker DCR 150 (+4 diopter) to be more usable than the common DCR 250 (+8.4 diopter)

With coupled lenses the working distance will be around the flange distance of the additional (reversed) lens, and magnification will start at the ration of the lenses focal length, & get higher as the focus is adjusted. More details can be found at Coupling lenses for extreme macro along with lots of other macro tips from someone who goes far beyond my macro skills.
 
No going FF is not the best way to get started. You need an interchangeable lens camera and ideally for macro a mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras have two big advantages that matter for macro: First focus peaking. You can enlarge the viewfinder image for critical focus. Second you can adapt just about any lens.
Yes, Yes and Yes. 1) You don't need FF. 2) If you like the idea of live view and the ability to see what you will get, being able to zoom, and other abilities, add that. 3) Any lens! You are going to be shooting manual, Macro isn't fast, there could be stacking, you may want to bracket the exposure.

I think if the OP is looking for a new/used camera to move forward, a mirrorless should be the first consideration. The brand doesn't matter, but if you like Nikon, fine go with that. There are a number of models and manufacturers mirrorless cameras, now on the market, which have become discontinued by updates and upgrades. The sensors are often the same or just as suitable, with less cost.

After how much do you want to spend, I'd ask, what are you going to shoot? Macro is a pretty large and broad term. Macro what? If the answer is not specific, just fun and diving in, that's a great answer also. Marco for the sake of experimenting and experiencing, is a challenge and entertaining.

How macro do you want to get and how much fun do you want to have. Many options. Oh and these are a 50-D that I have on a stand. Single frames, just having some fun.
 

Attachments

  • Lincoln Cent Macro 2026 web.webp
    Lincoln Cent Macro 2026 web.webp
    311.7 KB · Views: 26
  • lincoln 10x-01 web.webp
    lincoln 10x-01 web.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 27
You can get into macro for rather little money. A used Nikon APS-C like a D5100 or higher with a normal zoom, reverse mount adapter and a reversed 35mm etc. will get you going. This article describes the process.

If this is not the rout you want to go, there are tons of used dSLRs and macro lenses at very reasonable prices that can get you started. Check out MPB or KEH for these products. I personally use both full frame and crop frame with a 105mm nikkor with a macro flash for what I do but, I'm a bit of a gear nut and could do with a lot less if I needed too.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom