Macro photography lighting setup | Need advice

Ironlegs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

After a quite a long pause I am trying to get back to macro photography but this time I want some proper lighting, the problem is, that I am student so my budget is low, so i got to stick to ebay things. :D

My current setup is : Canon 550d , Metz 58 AF-1 flash and Canon 100mm f/2.8 ( non L )
and i want to buy these :

2.5m Flash E-TTL Off-Camera 2-Hot-Shoe Cord Cable w PC SYNC Socket f Canon OC-E3

Mini Portable 9inch/23cm Softbox Diffuser for Flash/Speedlite/Speedlight 23x23cm

Dual-arm Dual-shoe Flexible Flash Bracket for MACRO SHOT f NIKON CANON Camera

My question is, if the flash hot shoe cord cable will work with my flash or is there a better solution for me ? :)

Thanks in advance.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The duel arm won't have the strength to hold a speedlite flash still. I've got one and hoped to use it for a similar purpose; but it won't have the internal strength and will wobble; and wobble is a nightmare for macro as that will unsteady you.

Instead I would look to RAM mount
RAM Mount UK

I believe they've got a US site as well. They sell setups designed for cars/bikes but which are ideally suited to holding flashes as well.

A pair of these
RAM Mount UK
Will allow you to use the tripod mount on the camera/lens collar and the base of the flash (most speedlite flashes have a tripod mount on the base)

A single
RAM Mount UK

And two
RAM Mount UK

And you've got yourself an arm that moves and which will hold strong and tight when locked down. The balls are also slightly sticky in the socket and thus it won't all totally fall apart as you start to loosen. Furthermore the only real downside is if you get the right angle enough to make it pivot on the screwthread; but otherwise its a very solid very tough and very expandable setup that I'd heartily recommend. The components are also cheaper than a lot of equivalent options "custom made" for cameras

The duel arm won't have the strength to hold a speedlite flash still. I've got one and hoped to use it for a similar purpose; but it won't have the internal strength and will wobble; and wobble is a nightmare for macro as that will unsteady you.

Instead I would look to RAM mount
RAM Mount UK

I believe they've got a US site as well. They sell setups designed for cars/bikes but which are ideally suited to holding flashes as well.

A pair of these
RAM Mount UK
Will allow you to use the tripod mount on the camera/lens collar and the base of the flash (most speedlite flashes have a tripod mount on the base)

A single
RAM Mount UK

And two
RAM Mount UK

And you've got yourself an arm that moves and which will hold strong and tight when locked down. The balls are also slightly sticky in the socket and thus it won't all totally fall apart as you start to loosen. Furthermore the only real downside is if you get the right angle enough to make it pivot on the screwthread; but otherwise its a very solid very tough and very expandable setup that I'd heartily recommend. The components are also cheaper than a lot of equivalent options "custom made" for cameras

Thanks a lot for these valuable informations !

I would definitely go for the dual arm and I would never think about the fact, that it wouldn't be able to hold it still.
I will look for different solutions and look at the one you provided.

Any idea about the flash cord cable though ? :)

I've not used that cord myself, in theory it should work and for a direct cable connection there shouldn't really be any problems. At least I can't think of any - the only one that might be an issue is how strong the flash slots into it - if the flash you have has a locking wheel (as most do) then it should lock down tight enough that its not an issue.

Thus I'd say give it a try :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back