Macro Question

photo_joe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay I have some extension tubes and I just got a reversing ring to use my 55-200mm lens with. I guess my question is when I put the extension rings on or try to use the revering ring. When I look through the camera view finder it is so dark I can make anything out to focus. Now with the reversing ring on I can with good light see the subject in the LCD when I use that. So I guess my question is this normal or is there a way that I can get it were I can use the camera view finder.

With the reverse ring open your aperture for viewing and focus. Then close the aperture down for shooting. All can be in live view of you choose. I dont have any experience with extension tubes.

Reversing a lens is hard to do with 'modern' lenses that don't have physical aperture rings. The camera not only controls when the aperture is closed via a mechanical linkage, the aperture that is set by the camera is controlled by the electronics in the lens. Reverse the lens, and you totally lose the ability to control both.

Since it appears you're shooting Nikon, look around for a BR6. The BR6 will attach to the F-mount end of the reverse lens, and has a lever on it to actuate the aperture blades. Setting the aperture will be a problem, as it will most likely default to the smallest (f/22, f/32, whatever it is for the lens you're using), and you won't be able to change it.

This means you're gonna need a LOT of light.

There's a real good tut over at Nikonians.

Learn to use the lens and get decent well exposed shots, before trying to add the tubes. They will just make things harder until you get the basics down. You really need a older lens that has a aperture ring... so you can control that easily. Good luck!

Well I found the metal lever on the back or once it is mounted on the reversing ring that will all the viewfinder to get enough light to focus and then I release it before I hit the shutter.

$001.jpg $004.jpg

Here are couple of test shots with a lower light indoors with the sb700 flash.

While that works, it's 1.)totally inconvenient and 2.) only for the minimum aperture.

If, for instance, the IQ is best at f/8, you really don't have a way to set it to that.

I have a Nikon Series E 36-72 with a reverse adapter mounted.. that I would sell fairly cheap if you are interested... and it has an Aperture ring. It also does some serious greater than 1:1 magnification.

So does having the aperture ring allow you to adjust the aperture. Since right now when I put the reversing ring on my camera goes to F0 and doesn't allow for an aperture adjustment.

So does having the aperture ring allow you to adjust the aperture. Since right now when I put the reversing ring on my camera goes to F0 and doesn't allow for an aperture adjustment.

Exactly! used to be (back in the old days), you had to set your aperture on the lens for all shots. Nikon stopped putting rings on the lenses with the G series of lenses. But all D, E, etc.. have them. Or you can get a BR-6 like Sparky suggested. Nikon BR-6 Auto Diaphragm Ring for Reverse Mount Lenses 2658 B&H

Or you can buy the lens I mentioned for less then the BR-6 would set you back.... ;)

The lens is currently selling on Ebay for around $65 with shipping and NO reverse adapter. I will sell it for $60 with shipping and WITH a reverse adapter. I have been meaning to list it in the Buy and Sell but have been lazy. Tevo, Megan and Sharon can all vouch for me if needed.. :)

Here are some quick samples I shot. Under my florescent desk lamp at ISO 5000 F8 1/60 handheld (so they are not the greatest). These are mostly for just the magnification comparison and the range it has. At ISO 5000... they are a little too noisy to be good quality.

36 maxed
$36-max.jpg

72 maxed
$72mm-max.jpg

my Nikon 105 macro at 1:1 MAX for comparison.
$Nikon-105-max-1to1.jpg

I'll have to see what I have for cash flow.

No problem... no rush. Let me know though, if you don't want it and I will throw it up in Buy and Sell.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back