What's new

Maddy + Hannah 2012 ???

Ysarex94 88

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
7,717
Reaction score
4,577
Location
St. Louis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was off on my afternoon walk today and I crossed over the highway (Interstate 44 through St. Louis) on our footbridge (you can see the ramp up on the left). There in the middle of the bridge I found this:

$maddy_hannah.webp

When I was a young boy of courtin' age it was the male's responsibility to carve a heart into a tree trunk wherein he would inscribe both his and her names as a declaration of his unending devotion. Is this the modern day equivalent? Or am I otherwise clueless?

A lock like this typically comes with two keys. They could each wear one and then if one of them wants to break up they could unlock the lock? Beats chopping down the tree.

Joe
 
I have seen this things in some places in Europe(last place was a bridge in Berlin). Typically the initials are engraved in the padlock of two loved ones but either way these locks are often locked at a bridge by two lovers and the keys are thrown into the water so it will stay there forever and be a symbol for their everlasting love.

A wikipedia article about it: Love padlocks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
This is a massive tradition in Italy and it has also started to take root in London, particularly on the Millenium Bridge. ALthough, I have to say I've only ever seen locks like this on fences near water or on bridges so that the key can be tossed into the sea/river/whatever. I sincerely hope that key wasn't thrown onto that busy highway!
 
Interesting. I have never heard of the love locks before. Only one truck on 44? That is amazing too. :)

Yep, first I've seen it. Here in the Midwest we're often a little slow on the uptake.

Lew, I had those ribbed clouds with about 45 sec intervals of bright sun, hazy sun. The bright sun was too harsh so I took about 6 frames through the hazy intervals. I got a red truck, and a bus, and a red and blue truck together and a green truck. The red truck worked better in the composition but I was happier with the metal ring in the white truck shot. Here's the red truck.

Joe

$love_lock.webp
 
I sincerely hope that key wasn't thrown onto that busy highway!

Oh I imagine it was. Throwing stuff off pedestrian bridges at the traffic is a practice here in St. Louis that I am aware of. Some years back we had a poor woman killed when someone dropped a rock and smashed her windshield. That's when the extra high fence went up that this lock is attached to. Now they can only drop stuff that fits through the fence.

Joe
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom