Maine in Fall

CrazyEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For vacation this year, I rented the Tokina 11-16mm lens to play with. Here are some results:

DSC_0306.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Beautiful series!!! My faves are the second and fifth shots. Really nicely done.

I'm just going to say that I purchased this elusive lens yesterday and I'm delighted to see what can be done with it :thumbup:

well, for critique.. like I said earlier I do like the set.

that being said...
#1, I would recommend straightening the vertical lines.
#2 the vignetting on the top right and left is a little funky
#5 I think this suffers because the foreground is out of focus.

well, for critique.. like I said earlier I do like the set.

that being said...
#1, I would recommend straightening the vertical lines.
#2 the vignetting on the top right and left is a little funky
#5 I think this suffers because the foreground is out of focus.

#1 - How would I go about straightening the lines? I don't have Photoshop. And, wouldn't straightening the vertical warp the horizontal? Would the right solution be to step back and use a zoom instead?
#2 - I think the vignetting is due to the fact that the polarizer got into the picture at 11mm. Maybe if I bought that lens I'd want to buy a thinner polarizer?
#5 - The lens was fixed-aperture at f/2.8, so unfortunately I couldn't improve depth of field. Maybe next time for a similar shot I should use a different lens to get it sharper everywhere.

Thanks for the opinions!

I love all of them... the last one is just sublime.

well, as for #1 straightening would be easiest in photoshop. I'm sure it's probably possible with elements though I'm not exactly sure how you would manage it. I will say when you take photos like that if you're able to hold the camera parallel (or I suppose perpindicular (sp?) to the item being photographed you'll have a better time keeping the subject with straighter lines.

2. I would probably just crop that area out then, easy enough to do and you don't have the distracting vignetting. I mean, if the vignetting were to be even all the way around it would be ok, but since it's awkwardly shaped I'd probably try to get rid of it.

5. I know that the tokina is a 2.8 lens, however that merely means that the maximum aperture (or the smallest number) throughout the range is 2.8. If you want a larger DOF (which is almost never a problem with wide angle lenses because of how DOF works) you can just use a different aperture such as 5.6 or 8 (lenses are usually sharper stopped down a bit anyway)

wow impressive pics..love it..

5. I know that the tokina is a 2.8 lens, however that merely means that the maximum aperture (or the smallest number) throughout the range is 2.8. If you want a larger DOF (which is almost never a problem with wide angle lenses because of how DOF works) you can just use a different aperture such as 5.6 or 8 (lenses are usually sharper stopped down a bit anyway)

Oh, now I get it! I feel silly now.

Most reactions

Back