What's new

Maine in Fall

CrazyEye

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
For vacation this year, I rented the Tokina 11-16mm lens to play with. Here are some results:

DSC_0306.JPG


DSC_0178.JPG


DSC_0056.JPG


DSC_0198.JPG


DSC_0413.JPG
 
nice set, I love main in the fall.

are you looking for critique of any sort or not so much?
 
Beautiful series!!! My faves are the second and fifth shots. Really nicely done.
 
I'm just going to say that I purchased this elusive lens yesterday and I'm delighted to see what can be done with it :thumbup:
 
well, for critique.. like I said earlier I do like the set.

that being said...
#1, I would recommend straightening the vertical lines.
#2 the vignetting on the top right and left is a little funky
#5 I think this suffers because the foreground is out of focus.
 
well, for critique.. like I said earlier I do like the set.

that being said...
#1, I would recommend straightening the vertical lines.
#2 the vignetting on the top right and left is a little funky
#5 I think this suffers because the foreground is out of focus.

#1 - How would I go about straightening the lines? I don't have Photoshop. And, wouldn't straightening the vertical warp the horizontal? Would the right solution be to step back and use a zoom instead?
#2 - I think the vignetting is due to the fact that the polarizer got into the picture at 11mm. Maybe if I bought that lens I'd want to buy a thinner polarizer?
#5 - The lens was fixed-aperture at f/2.8, so unfortunately I couldn't improve depth of field. Maybe next time for a similar shot I should use a different lens to get it sharper everywhere.

Thanks for the opinions!
 
I love all of them... the last one is just sublime.
 
well, as for #1 straightening would be easiest in photoshop. I'm sure it's probably possible with elements though I'm not exactly sure how you would manage it. I will say when you take photos like that if you're able to hold the camera parallel (or I suppose perpindicular (sp?) to the item being photographed you'll have a better time keeping the subject with straighter lines.

2. I would probably just crop that area out then, easy enough to do and you don't have the distracting vignetting. I mean, if the vignetting were to be even all the way around it would be ok, but since it's awkwardly shaped I'd probably try to get rid of it.

5. I know that the tokina is a 2.8 lens, however that merely means that the maximum aperture (or the smallest number) throughout the range is 2.8. If you want a larger DOF (which is almost never a problem with wide angle lenses because of how DOF works) you can just use a different aperture such as 5.6 or 8 (lenses are usually sharper stopped down a bit anyway)
 
wow impressive pics..love it..
 
5. I know that the tokina is a 2.8 lens, however that merely means that the maximum aperture (or the smallest number) throughout the range is 2.8. If you want a larger DOF (which is almost never a problem with wide angle lenses because of how DOF works) you can just use a different aperture such as 5.6 or 8 (lenses are usually sharper stopped down a bit anyway)

Oh, now I get it! I feel silly now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom