Major Journalism Question

I don't want to get into the legalities because everyone else seems to covering that, but I did want to bring up some other moral issues about this particular instance. I think you did the right thing about not photographing the face of the person who jumped. It's kind of a gray area, but I would think that someone who has committed or attempted suicide falls in the same sort of category as rape victims. The two are very personal issues.
I think it would have been an entirely different story had someone pushed the person off the building. I've never been in the situation, so I don't know how I would react, but I don't think I would have a problem shooting the picture if it wasn't an overly gruesome scene. I would also shoot reactions from the other students.
I think this picture kinda sums up what I'm trying to say. It's one of the most powerful images in photojournalism history, IMO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kent_State_massacre.jpg

To the OP, thank you for being considerate of the "patient" and going to lengths to make sure that the "patient" was not photographed or identifiable. Journalism is one thing, but capitalizing on the misfortunes of others is a whole other can of worms.

One can effectively capture the moment without capturing the graphic side of the moment (as our society is becoming more and more prevalent to do....through email, the internet, and extreme tabloid journalism).

I have seen first hand what graphic photos can do to a patient and their loved ones, and it is not pretty.

Once again, thank you for caring enough to protect the patient.

Most reactions

Back