matthewkristjan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewkristjan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here is a little of my story.

I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada which is a relatively small city in the Canadian prairies. (~700,000 people) Last year my girlfriend and I decided to pick up and move to Montreal in order to pursue our dreams. She is wanting to get her masters from Concordia and I am wanting to become a fashion photographer. It's been great since we've moved here.

She helps me out on 99% of my shoots, she works as assistant and creative inspiration. Making sure I don't miss the minute details that can sometimes make or break a great photo.

We are hoping to make the jump to a almost full time freelance life this spring/summer. With our main income hopefully coming from Model portfolio building/corporate portraits and what I am wanting most work with Magazines and Advertising (Though I know well enough getting those jobs will take time and persistence)

So to any of you full time freelancers can you give me some words of wisdom and advice. Anything and everything will help.

Cheers

We don't do fashion, but from a business standpoint, I can let you know that it's best to hold out as long as you can doing a regular full-time job. Then when your full time job seems to be getting in the way of your photography, it may be time to consider making the jump.

One of the biggest mistakes that photographers make starting out is not putting together a great business plan, this pretty much applies to anyone in any field as well. Montreal is a good place to find work, it is a bigger market and can hold asking for more money than many other cities in Canada. The best thing you could do is approach some of the modelling agencies in Montreal and see if you can get some work there, or the modelling schools. Building a solid and unique portfolio will make all the difference, you are walking into a tough market to break into. Even try some of the fashion stores along St Catherine's, but be prepared to have a lot of doors closed before you find the open ones.

Having looked at your web site, there is some talent there, but you'll be competing against many that are far more established and working at a different level. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back