Making the switch to Back button focus

I stay in BBF all the time with AF-C. I flip to AF-S if I need the focus assist of the flash. My shutter button never focused on any of my SLR cameras so I'm just not used to having my finger always on the shutter button. I'll switch off between my index and middle finger on setting my shutter speed.

I use primarily the Button for AE-L/AF-L for sports when I want to pan a bit away from a player to track the ball - for a goal shot as an example. This while not moving the focus lock point in order to keep the player in focus and get the movement of the ball.

I also have a AF-ON button, but I rarely use. I still like have the release button to do the initial focus. You can half press it too. Some ppl aren't good at half pressing and the full press for BBF is better.

So it's all a personal preference.

If you have 2 back buttons then you can have both the AE-L/AF-L and AF-ON functionality in addition to your main Release button. On my D500 I reprogrammed my AF-ON as my AE-L/AF-L as the little joystick is the AE-L/AF-L button too but you have to push it directly in, which I've been unable to do with any consistency and instead move my focus point.
Thanks for that, I get a bit confused with the AE- L/AF - L and AF - ON differences/functionality. I had to set my AE-L/AF-L button to make back button focus work. I kind of expected everyone on here to usually be using BBF so it's quite interesting to find that's not the case. I think it will be good for me when I'm tracking kids running around but then want to make more of a portrait shot without having the time to swap from AFC to AF S. Thanks again

I've switched to back button focus as well and, as others have said, it is a bit of a learning curve. But I like it. Most of my shooting right now is the kids' ball games. For example, if they are making a play at a base, I can hit the bbf. Then, as I'm ripping off continuous shots, if another player steps into the frame, my camera isn't trying to refocus on them. I'm still locked in on my kid since I've released the bbf. Other times, I am still forgetting to hit the bbf and expecting my shutter button to focus. Oops. It's a learning curve.
Thanks, that makes sense. Yes I keep on using my finger expecting it to focus. Guess it's just a bit of re training.

I stay in BBF all the time with AF-C. I flip to AF-S if I need the focus assist of the flash. My shutter button never focused on any of my SLR cameras so I'm just not used to having my finger always on the shutter button. I'll switch off between my index and middle finger on setting my shutter speed.
Thank you, you answered whether it was okay to stick to working in AF- C rather than having to swap back to AF-S. Think I will stick to what I am practised with for my upcoming photoshoot but then really have a go changing to BBF for a while to see if I like it.

There is a learning curve to BBF. I found it a good tool to have. I often shoot in crowded, fluid environments and I find it easier to quickly focus, recompose and release the shutter than doing it all with the shutter release button. For action photography, often I will get get caught up with the momentum of the event and jamming my finger against a back button to focus only is better than jamming my finger against the shutter release button and ripping off a few frames.

For clarity: I, far more often, shoot in fast moving and uncontrollable environments (sports, Street, events, et al). BBF give me one less thing to think about ... I can concentrate fully on the image I desire to capture without multitasking finger pressure control at the same time. In a controlled situation ... BBF is no big deal. But for me, not having to worry or think about finger pressure allows me to focus what little cream-cheese brain matter I have left, completely in the viewfinder.
Thanks this was really helpful. I identify with the cream-cheese brain matter!

BBF is not all it is made out to be by the many beginning photo writers and YouTube people that promote it. I seldom use it, preferring a NEW focus, automatically, with every press of the shutter. With larger, heavier lenses (big body like D3x + 70-200/2.8,300/4,etc), BBF alters how the right thumb can support the weight of the camera and lens combo. On a long shoot, I dislike changing my hand;s grip for every shot, and prefer that the thumb stay perfectly atationary and supporting the back of the camera. BBF alters this ,materially.

Honestly, if one needs to ask questions about BBF, it's probably not the best time to move to something like BBF for an important shoot. We've had threads about it before: this forum's top Canadian sports shooter does not use BBF, but prefers the focus to be assoicated with the trigger button.

For SOME situations, BBF makes sense...in others, no sense at all...

As far as AF-C and AF-Single...one can lead to minute or severe focus errors on some subjects...
Thanks, I really thought everyone would be using it so that is suprising especially for a sports photographer like you mentioned. Yes good advice, I will stick to what I know for this upcoming photoshoot.

I use it all the time with continuous AF mode enabled - however most of what I shoot is action based photography so continual refocusing is needed. I also find that it makes more sense to have on lense which have full-time manual focusing because then you can use back-button all the time. If you want to go manual you just leave everything as it is and don't press the backbutton to engage the AF, and because the lens is continuous manual focus you don't have to flick a lens switch, you just change the focus on the lens as is.

The only time I regret it is when I'm doing something where I want the speedlite AF assist beam to enable. This only enables in one-shot AF mode not continuous. I also always tend to forget this until well after the event. This is more of an issue of AF mode rather than back-button selection but its still one thing to consider when choosing an AF mode itself (as that is part of your original question).
Ah thanks for that and helpful as I am considering investing in a speedlight.

Most reactions

Back