Male Phidippus jumpers

kyrontf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found two of these guys today. I'm thinking they're probably Phidippus johnsoni, but I'm not completely sure. C&C welcome!

First male:

DSC09739.jpg

2. He was very active while I was photographing him and managed to catch himself a small crane fly.
DSC09897.jpg

3. Closeup, still with his meal. I tried to do a focus stack here but his fangs and palps kept moving so I had to do the stack by hand. Ended up pulling bits from about 4 images.
DSC09942.jpg

2012-05-09-152028ZSPMax.jpg

Second male:

DSC09991.jpg

6. He really liked this fir cone and hid out in it for a while.
DSC00017.jpg

beautiful set of images. Especially like the last one. Which setup if I might ask ?

beautiful set of images. Especially like the last one. Which setup if I might ask ?

Thanks! I'm using a Sony A65 body with a reversed 18-70mm kit lens. On-camera flash with a simple DIY diffuser.

Must get myself a reverse adapter.
now.

Where in Canada are you that you found these? All the jumpers I've come across are dull grey, brown or black. I yearn for some color!

Off to search Ebay for an adaptor!

Damn, that's amazing work with that setup. Really congratz!

Thanks. :D You can get a lot of milage out of reversed lenses!

Where in Canada are you that you found these? All the jumpers I've come across are dull grey, brown or black. I yearn for some color!

I'm in BC. These Phidippus spiders are pretty common here. I'm pretty sure you've got some Phidippus species over there too. P. clarus for sure. Sometimes jumpers look dull from up top but have extraordinary colours at eye level!

I came across a zebra-striped one the other day. Didnt turn out well though. I think my extension tubes cause some softening, or my hand just wasnt steady enough. I'll have to do some tests.

I always try to greet them at their level.Those eyes look like they are looking right at you.

Thomas Shahan has taught me a few things in my quest to become as good as him. Your shots above are on par!

I swear I had a reverse adapter. I couldn't find it so I'll have to order another one.

I came across a zebra-striped one the other day. Didnt turn out well though. I think my extension tubes cause some softening, or my hand just wasnt steady enough. I'll have to do some tests.

I always try to greet them at their level.Those eyes look like they are looking right at you.

Thomas Shahan has taught me a few things in my quest to become as good as him. Your shots above are on par!

I swear I had a reverse adapter. I couldn't find it so I'll have to order another one.

Zebras are some of my favourites. I saw a male the yesterday but didn't get a chance to photograph him. Softening can be a problem... I used to use (and may again) a couple of reversed prime lenses on extension tubes and had some serious softness issues at high magnifications. Still do, though it's less with the 18-70mm I'm using now. Were you using flash? That should largely eliminate the need to keep things steady.

Agreed about their eyes. It's really neat how they track you as you move around too.

A good chunk of what I've picked up about Arthropod macro has come from looking at Thomas Shahan's work and watching his videos! I've been on a similar quest... still got a long ways to go though, I think!

Most reactions

Back