What's new

Mall of Emirates

BrandonS

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma City, OK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken at the Mall of Emirates in Dubai, UAE. I like the colors and shadows cast in this one. Any C&C welcome.

MallofEmirates.jpg


17mm @ f/5.0 1/100
ISO 100
 
There are some interesting parts to this shot (particularly the roof), but I'm not sure the whole image delivers. The composition is spoiled, I think, by the big beam across the centre of the photograph, and from having no obvious centre of visual focus.

Regards, Tony
 
thanks. I'm just getting my feet wet with all this. In a shot like this what would you normally use as a subject?
 
With architecture like this I think I'd try to get the photo as symmetrical as can possibly be, and I'd probably concentrate on the roof construction (alone) or the interior design (different exposure).
And yes, I sooo feel the desire to move to the right, and more to the right and some more, until "I am" in the very centre of the building... ;)
 
I shoot a range of shots in a location like this Brandon. I'd have a wide angle shot showing ground to roof, fairly symmetrical (or very asymmetrical), and I'd corect the verticals in PP unless I'd really leaned back to shoot upwards, then I'd leave them alone. The roof, to someone with my interests, would provide some great semi-abstracts of curves and sky. An image of the roof, with the beam and the nice railings at the bottom, with a figure walking across (for scale and as a focal point) would look good I think.

Regards, Tony
 
I had a few that were centered and straight, but I always read about making things "dynamic" so I thought this one was better.
 
With a scene where there are a lot of conflicting points of interest it's sometimes better to concentrate on details which are representative of the whole; for instance, the mosaic where the bridge meets the wall-or perhaps a detail of the wrought-ironwork on the bridge itself.
As it is the composition is a little busy and lacks a focal point-also, remember the rule of thirds when composing; it really makes a difference.
I'd love to visit Dubai-they've spent some serious money on some stunning architecture.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom