What's new

Mama Whale (comments requested)

rlemert

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
469
Reaction score
105
Location
Raleigh, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The local science museum opened a new wing a couple of weeks ago, and this is one of their centerpiece exhibits. She's a mother-to-be right whale that was killed in an apparent collision with a boat (note the fracture about where her forehead would be). When they found her she was near full-term - you can just make out part of the baby's tail under her fin.

I'm wondering which edit people prefer - and why. To me the first appears a bit dark, but I think it more realistically reflects the museum setting. The second is brighter, and the balding guy in the lower left looks more natural, but I feel like I've taken it too far and that mama has a bit of a green caste to her. Would something between the two look better?

(Comments about composition are also welcome, although my options were somewhat limited in the crush of opening day.)

7146037607_fa543137a0_z.jpg


7146037303_45d20654e7_z.jpg


The original was taken in RAW and has been processed using RawTherapee 3.0.1 - my first exposures (pardon the pun) to both the format and the tool. Canon Rebel XSI, F5, 1/60, Aperture Mode, ISO 800.
 
Honestly, I don't really like the image as shot, but if I had to choose I'd say the first.

There are a few reasons that I find the image off. One is the fact you have numerous distractions (IE People) blocking part of the subject, the second is you failed to capture the entire subject, cutting off the front.
 
Honestly, I don't really like the image as shot, but if I had to choose I'd say the first.

There are a few reasons that I find the image off. One is the fact you have numerous distractions (IE People) blocking part of the subject, the second is you failed to capture the entire subject, cutting off the front.
^This. The first shows more perceived depth. In addition to the detracting things noted above, not digging the bright green EXIT signs either. They REALLY pull my eyes to them.
 
I too like the first over the second for the lighting.... :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom