Mamiya 645 eyepiece magnifier optics clearing?

Ulophot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought mine used years ago and it works fairly well, but I recently had it in a scene with some bright background. The image through the lens was not showing significant flare, but the magnifier sure was, making it a challenge to use. The outer optical surfaces are in fairly decent shape, so I suspect that the inner ones may have clouded up over time, and I wonder if I can clean them myself.

There are four small screws that hold on the metal "collar" that slips over the camera eyepiece. I'm guessing that removing the screws may also open the device's optics compartment, but I don't want to take something apart that I won't know how to put back together properly -- I'm not skilled at such things.

Anyone have experience with this little item?
Thanks.

If you shine a flashlight through one end as you look through the other you will see if it needs cleaning.

Wondering if it’s multi-element whether separation might be the issue? Just asking...

If it is, I will have to separate from the magnifier; way out of my league.

Well, I unscrewed the four screws. Three tiny set screws hold the piece I needed to remove, so I loosened those as well. I gained access to one surface that needed cleaning and another that was pristine. After cleaning the one surface and reassembling, and cleaning the camera eye piece as well, things are at least much improved.

Most reactions

Back