Mannequin for modeling?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there!

So I didn't really see a forum that this would fall under, so hopefully this one will do.

I have been thinking of getting an articulated mannequin to use with practicing lighting techniques, and posing. Extra bonus if I can practice makeup.

This is one I'm looking at: Roxy Display

Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? Does it work? Has anyone used this mannequin in particular?

Basically, it doesn't have to resemble a person perfectly (that would be creepy), but something that can articulate and react to light properly would be great. Much easier than scheduling people to come. I can just practice whenever I feel inspired.

Thanks!

Seems like a lot of money.

I am reminded of a movie: "Lars and the Real Girl"

I just take selfies haha

I wonder how well that would work for photography. I can't tell what the eyes look like, and if they're not glass, then I don't think you're going to get good catchlights in a painted eye.

Might be better all things considered to just hire models.

You're probably looking to spend more than most would on this; in general most would use a large stuffed toy or just one of those standard dummies to stand in place of a person to get a rough idea for the lighting. Certainly using such a tool can be a great way to practice, experiment and get some idea about lighting without having to torment friends/family/pets/hired models for hours whilst you mess around with positions and settings. It can make a proper shoot got a lot faster when you've already got a grasp on the major angles and settings for your flash.

That said you might want to hunt around the auction houses or even ask around the charity shops. 2nd hand would lower the price a lot and for what you need it won't matter if what you use is a little beaten up through normal use. Heck ask at the clothing shops in town and one might even have a damaged one that they don't use any more.

Watching some news type show on cable awhile back. Apparently if you don't mind spending a little more money you can get a life size"mannequin" that is a multi-tasker rather than just for posing. :lol:

Well the idea is for it to be fully articulated so I can work on poses as well. I haven't had much luck finding anything like that outside of these. Thanks for the feedback, yall.

This is what they look like. (SFW) It was a BBC show that I saw if I remember correctly. About women buying the male versions to have as passengers in their vehicles etc for safety. They did look lifelike.

I've used those heads that wigs are placed on. There's a hole that will fit over a light stand so you can adjust the height. They're cheap and can take paint, if you so desire. Never tried a full size mannequin tho. I do have an articulated model about a foot high for drawing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Artist's models are another option. They might not be big enough... but there is a lot of precedent for pose-able figures for artsy use, at least.

Hey there!

So I didn't really see a forum that this would fall under, so hopefully this one will do.

I have been thinking of getting an articulated mannequin to use with practicing lighting techniques, and posing. Extra bonus if I can practice makeup.

This is one I'm looking at: Roxy Display

Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? Does it work? Has anyone used this mannequin in particular?

Basically, it doesn't have to resemble a person perfectly (that would be creepy), but something that can articulate and react to light properly would be great. Much easier than scheduling people to come. I can just practice whenever I feel inspired.

Thanks!
This is my little helper meet Miss. Kim Image 4-12-16 at 8.42 PM by Mike Blunt, on Flickr has helped me with DOF and lighting and so much more.

Last edited:
The use of artificial models is common in the traditional media art field.
You could do sculpting and then use those as models too.
Or just find a local modeling school and put up a flyer, they get free experience, some photos for their portfolio and so do you. Win, win.

a4ef50ec212300f3300568529ac7d4cf.jpg
I've been using this.

3DS Max?
Your terrain looks a bit off though. :)
And the big box on the horizon looks out of place.

Most reactions

Back