Manual Focus ?

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was flipping through this forum and saw a post dealing with manual focus. It described the best/most accurate way to focus either from infinity in or from the smallest to infinity. I can't remember which it is and I can't find the the thread again. Could someone help me with this? I have a manual focus 50mm f1.7 lens coming (can't afford Pentax AF).

Thanks!
Susan

I wrote that post. Focus from Infinity inward, toward the closer distances. Focus briskly, and when the image in the finder looks good, stop! You might need to make a very small hitch, or reversal of direction, but by focusing very quickly from Infinity toward closer focus, you'll be able to manually focus relatively well.

What you want to avoid is see-sawing back and forth, repeatedly. That's not a good system. Focusing from far-to-close will almost always be more accurate and repeatable than focusing from close toward far, due to the way lenses change distance more rapidly at longer ranges, and much more slowly at the closer marked distances.

Your camera might also have a green focus confirmation system that can help you, by lighting up an LED when focus is achieved under the active AF point, even with a manual focus lens (not sure about your Pentax and this though.)

What you want to avoid is see-sawing back and forth, repeatedly.
I was shooting at (not shooting for) a friends wedding and had quite a few drinks. It was too dark for AF and I couldn't see clearly enough for manual...so I just see-sawed it until it was close, then snapped away. Fortunately I was shooting at F8 and they were pretty much all in focus. :cheers: :drunk:

My photo instructor, Al Belson, wore glasses, but took them off to focus. He said to adjust the focusing ring until you see the maximum contrast where a dark and light area meet. His thinking was that the maximum contrast is caused by edges being sharp (fuzzy edges reduce contrast). I tried it, and it really does work. However, I keep my glasses on and focus away.

Have Fun,
Jeff

What you want to avoid is see-sawing back and forth, repeatedly.
I was shooting at (not shooting for) a friends wedding and had quite a few drinks. It was too dark for AF and I couldn't see clearly enough for manual...so I just see-sawed it until it was close, then snapped away. Fortunately I was shooting at F8 and they were pretty much all in focus. :cheers: :drunk:

Being "Big" Mike is helpful in a situation like that! Greater body mass = fewer alcohol effects (and greater stability in high winds) !:thumbup:

I can't wait to get my "new to me" lens. I want to try out more portraiture. Now I just have to figure out lighting. I have read lots and lots of posts and my head is reeling. A new edition of Understanding Exposure is coming out in August - so I am thinking I might wait to buy it till the new one comes out. I haven't found a previous edition in my local library.

Susan

Why do I suddenly have an image in my mind of BigMike with a camera to his face and this on his head, shooting at a wedding reception. Never know this may be the next big thing in gear for wedding photographers.
bigmikel.jpg

My photo instructor, Al Belson, wore glasses, but took them off to focus. He said to adjust the focusing ring until you see the maximum contrast where a dark and light area meet.

Contrast-detect manual focus :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back