Manual Focus?

Marc Hildebrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Group,

I have many automatic focus methods available with my Canon EOS 90D. Although the auto modes have worked well so far, I was wondering if photographers have used the Manual option?

If so, why?

Marc

Manual focus works best for macros, as well as static studio shots.

All of my old glass requires it. It’s how I learned and still prefer it for most of my shots

If I'm doing a static subject, then I use manual focus with back screen and 16x magnification. For macro I use a focus rail, focus on the first point then use the rail adjustment to take progressive shots that are later combined post as layers. For studio I use AF-C because a subject is never static, and even a fraction of an inch can ruin focus.

All depends on what you are shooting, and the conditions.
AF on my camera does NOT work shooting into a bird cage. It will focus on the cage bars. So I have to manually focus on the bird.
Same when shooting through a window. Sometimes the camera will try to focus on the dust on the window, not the scene beyond.
In the rain, I have had the camera try to focus on the rain, not the subject.

Manual focus is a must for astrophotography. I also find it useful for macro and sometimes use it for landscape. If I’m using my tripod and taking a big scene or a pano, I like to use MF to make sure that I have maximum control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back