Manual vs. Aperture Priority mode

the important part of that sentense was "WHEN YOU COULD BE". That doesn't include stopping action. If it' blury at 1/100 then you can't reasonably be at that shutter speed.

So assuming we've frozen the action identically regardless of 1/100 or 1/400, please list out your 100 advantages of using higher ISO

And I definitely will not let my camera pick it for me.

Well maybe you should - then it would be at a more appropriate value ;)

There's no advantage to shooting at ISO 800 @ 1/400th when you could be shooting ISO 200 @ 1/100

Just makes no sense to me - why have more noise than you need to? Why not optimise your ISO?

I know what shutter speeds I need to photo people that are more or less static - it's about 1/60th, so I want to be as close to that as possible, not suddenly be at 1/500 because I went from f4 to f1.4. I still want to be at 1/60th and drop my ISO cause being at 1/500 does nothing for me, as where dropping my ISO does.

Also, if you don't change it when you change apeture, there's not much point changing it when the light changes either - it's all the same thing in the end ;)

And that's where we agree. lol. I wasn't claiming to be wasteful either. No one is going to have a leg to stand on telling me there's a difference in 100 or 400 or 800 ISO when it comes to noise. ;)

Seriously? You can't see the difference between ISO 100 and 800?

Hmm, fair comment perhaps.

What about ISO 800 and 6400 ;) exactly the same number of stops. If I need ISO 6400 at f4, I only need iso 800 at f1.4. Would you shoot at 6400 when you could have 800?

Dunno about the mk3, but the 5dmk2 does NOT look the same at 800 and 6400.

And that's where we agree. lol. I wasn't claiming to be wasteful either. No one is going to have a leg to stand on telling me there's a difference in 100 or 400 or 800 ISO when it comes to noise. ;)

Long exposures and high action situations.

Ha, guess Canon weren't just sat on their @rses for 4 years between the mk2 and mk3 ;) Still doesn't change the fact that apeture affects shutter speed :p

@Runnah, did you not read this argument from the start, or are you being awkward on purpose :lol:

This argument started speciffically about it being annoying when shooting portraits. Not high action, not long exposure.

On a 5Dmk2, when you're struggling a bit for light to shoot a portrait, you're constantly juggling ISO as you change apeture and it's annoying if you're used to Auto ISO that doesn't think 1/30th is a good speed to use.

What was this thread about again? Did we hijack it or are we still adding value? Can anyone remember? :lmao:

@Runnah, did you not read this argument from the start, or are you being awkward on purpose :lol:

I like to jump in on situations not fully know what is going on. I find it helps my keep on my toes.

I just saw you making incorrect statements and thought I would chime in.

I think we did. lol. Believe me, I absolutely agree with you on "how to use" ISO. But, if I'm going to be in AV and not manual I'm not worried about it that much.

@Runnah, did you not read this argument from the start, or are you being awkward on purpose
lol.gif

I like to jump in on situations not fully know what is going on. I find it helps my keep on my toes.

I just saw you making incorrect statements and thought I would chime in.

LOL

Incorrect when taken out of context maybe. It is not incorrect to say that on a camera when it DOES notice, using a much higher ISO than you need to in order to get the result you want makes no sense

It is not incorrect to say that on a camera when it DOES notice, using a much higher ISO than you need to in order to get the result you want makes no sense

Letting your camera make decisions for you is the first step towards the mechanical uprising. But yes, cameras can be dumb with the way it decides to "improve" the photo. I always chuckle when I put mine into "P" mode and see what the exif data shows for settings.

I, for one, welcome our new camera overlords.

Me too - I would love to let the camera look after ISO - which I don't really care about; I just want it to be as low as possible and give me a useable shutter speed - I just wish it could do it properly, not use shutter speeds a geologist would call long when I use a wide angle len!! :banghead:

Most reactions

Back