Manual white balance and gray card?

Vtec44

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Google and a did search on here but I'm still confused. I've set manual white balance on my cameras before, typically using a white piece of paper as a reference point but then from what I've read they're not white to the camera's digital sensor. So then comes the gray cards, 18% or 20%. Is it the same concept as setting manual white balance but using either an 18% or 20% gray card instead? Sorry if this has been asked before. I swear did a search but nothing came up.

Yes, do it the same way you have been. Just make sure that the reference shot is properly exposed (just zero the meter out on it if you're using a gray card).

I think what leads to the confusion is that it's called 'white balance', but you don't actually need a 'white' target. What you really need is 'neutral'.

Some gray cards are more neutral than others (I like the WhiBal ones), but really, it probably doesn't even matter most of the time.

A gray card is also more likely to be properly exposed if you just have the model hold it while you take a shot to use the dropper on in PP. A white card *might* get blown out in that situation, making it useless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back