Marco lighting question

Hooker771

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the Canon XS and 430ex speedlight. I am trying to use extension tubes alond with my 100mm macro lens which makes the lens very long and it sometimes will shadow the subject. What is suggested for this type of shot? I am thinking that I would need something for when outdoors looking for insects. I have a lightbox (pic below but I did not use the extension tubes) so when at home I am OK. Could I build out a snoot with a diffuser or do these cheap lightrings work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140388172058&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXI6&GUID=49fda7aa1270a0265333bdc3ff905173&itemid=140388172058&ff4=263602_263622

What do you all do in these situations?

4426187326_f2d6c79843.jpg

4425421067_3fbd603ec2.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nopes minty fresh breath won't help here ;)

You might fine some help in LordV's gear setups :
Equipment and test Pics - a set on Flickr

that is his gear set on his flickr account and shows/details a series of different lighting setups he has used to get the flash in a more suitable position (as well as to diffuse flash light).

I myself have adopted a similar method to this shoot here :
Flash Setup for 2010 7d + Sigma lens + Flash - BirdForum

Though the cheap ebay brackets are not what I would choose now if given the choice. The metal is very thin and whilst it will hold it will also wabble, a lot. I've sort of fixed mine (had my uncle weld and bolt more metal around the main joint) but its not the most ideal.

Failing that your best approaches will be something like a ringflash or twinflash - both of which mount on the end of the lens and thus the length of the lens is not really of concern.

HAHA.

Most people would say you need a Ring Flash. Depending how close your lens is to the subject, you could also get a wireless transmitter so you can take the 430 off the camera and hand hold it down closer to the end of the lens and then fire the camera. you could also use reflectors and mirrors etc. There are a million creative ways.

It's not cheap, but I really like my Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite. Rather expensive, but does a great job. Ring flash would be my next choice but be careful of buying the cheap ones. My son bought one that was @ $135.00. It worked great for about 3 months then gave up the ghost. I have seen all forms of snoots, etc, made from all kinds of things. Just get creative.

Thanks learnmyshot.com! Ive actually watched that before but it doesnt really adress my problem of wanting some light for walking around macro. Im going to go with Lord V's coke can snoot.

Yes...it doesn't work in your situation....maybe carry with you some small white cards or the silver cards so you can bounce light in from the side....just a thought!

Most reactions

Back