Masking software recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by tirediron, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am in need of a good masking solution for fine, detail masking (primarily extracting hair from complex backgrounds). I'm not so concerned with price as I am with results. I've tried Topaz Labs Remask 3, and while VERY easy to use, lacks the fine detail capability I need. I also tried Corel's Knock-out 2, however had some difficulty with the application, and research indicated that there are issues when using it with CS4 on Win 7.

I don't plan on upgrading to CS5 for a while yet, so the enhancements there aren't [yet] and option.

Looking on-line, the two leading contenders seem to be Veritas Fluid Mask and Perfect Mask 5. They're both similar in price, and both well reviewed, but I don't put a lot of faith in most on-line review 'sites, so... any thoughts, recommendations, especially first-hand experiences?

Thanks!

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I am not aware of any application that deals with things like hair, trees and so forth in a no muss, no fuss way.

CS6 will be released soon so upgrading to CS5 doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

3. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eissmann.
    Her techniques are excellent and will work with CS2.
    They aren't automatic but do work well.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Understood; not sure that I'll be upgrading to CS6, at least not in the immediate future. I understand it's not going to be a one-click solution, but hopefully something that can simplify things a bit.

I'll have to look into that, thanks!