Masks and Shooting

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to shoot a lot of events and crowds where wearing a mask as a shooter is essential (or even required by law depending on the jurisdiction). I've struggled to find a mask that doesn't allow breath to escape from the top and fog up by view finder and screen.

Does anyone have any recommendations (for masks that you've found to avoid this problem as a shooter and anything I can put on my screen to minimize this problem)?

Try a snood.......
Well, a snood or neck gaiter or balaclava doesn't score every well on protection (in fact, some studies have shown it to be worse than no mask at all). Mostly I've worn a bandana (I've got a couple of very big ones that will go completely over my nose and also cover my neck down to the top of my shirt and double layer). That avoids the problem. But bandanas don't score much better than neck gaiters

Study: The most and least effective face masks to use during the pandemic

The disposable masks with the built in metal piece that you shape to your nose to close the top are better for this issue - not great or 100%, but better than the fabric masks. For long events bring a few extra as they do get sweaty if it’s a warm location.

I use the type of masks that have a long adjustable strap that loops around the ears then goes around the back of your neck. By adjusting the nosepiece to get a good fit, then adjusting the tension, I can can ensure any escaping air goes down my neck, and not up to fog the camera or sunglasses. It's also easy to remove and let it hang when you're socially distanced or eating. There's several makes here - this is one example ...

20200829_232532.jpg

I've a medical exemption. Result

A strip of medical tape across the top of any mask will make a tight fit that will not allow air to escape and fog your glasses.

I use "boob" tape. It is double sided tape women use to adhere clothing to their bodies when they don't want wardrobe malfunctions. I found it in strips about 3/8" wide and 3 1/2" long. It seals the mask to my face under my eyes and keeps my glasses from fogging.

Harder to find but a Properly Fitted N95 mask with valve works. The exhale is at the valve, not above your nose.
The key is that the nose bar be fitted to your face, so that it seals.
I've also used KN95 masks without a valve. As long as the nose bar is fitted, and it is held to your face with enough tension, it works.

I appreciate the tips folks. And anyone else who has other masks that work for you in terms of avoiding fogging up your viewfinder, suggest away.

A comment I got from someone else--rub shaving cream on the view finder. I have yet to try that.

The disposable masks with the built in metal piece that you shape to your nose to close the top are better for this issue - not great or 100%, but better than the fabric masks. For long events bring a few extra as they do get sweaty if it’s a warm location.
Also, be sure to flip the top edges of the mask UNDER your glasses.

This works,

Most reactions

Back