Mastodon Peak Trail - Altered ...

polymoog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.polymoog.se
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Abraxas would probably hate this mutiliation ;-) I'm not so sure about it myself either ... :confused:

joshhdr.jpg

Well you have to start somewhere, and after varying results with different images, I got something more along the lines I was thinking of, with this pic. Not a true HDR, it's a 3 x single RAW, but I just wanted to start getting the feel for the kind of things you can do, when trying to make an HDR. Some day I'll have the patience (and the tripod with me) to take a series of pics and make a real HDR .... :roll:

Feel free to tell me the pic is rubbish, for all kinds of reasons ;-)

Where is this at?

The color of the rocks makes them look like sandstone, but certainly not the erotional patterns. It makes them look more like some sort of granite. Very interesting indeed!

I like the picture too btw, but do you have the original somewhere so I can see what you actually did?

Thanks :) The Mastodon Peak Trail is in Joshua Tree National Park, California. More info about the area can be found here

Here is the original pic as posted on my homepage, not even cropped here, don't think I did much to it, just saved as a jpeg.

park031.jpg

The EDR/fake HDR is made by altering the original RAW file 3 times to get under, normal, and overexposed versions of the image which can the be combined to get the best out of all worlds. That's the idea anyway ...

BTW, I have no clue what the rocks are either ...

Ahh ok. Seeing your location as Sweeden threw me off, hence why I didn't know.

If it's in California, and seeing the normal colors, it does appear to be some sort of granite. Could be rhyolite depending on the grain size, or something in between. Just a guess though, I'd need to be there.

Very cool though! I want to go there.

I do like the way the processed picture looks. it has more of an evening sun look than a harsh light from midday. Excellent!

Sorry yes I maybe should have said that I was there on holiday ;-)

Nice Picture... spent many camping trips to Johshu Tree - one of the last real peaceful places around... kinna spiritual..
This made for a really nice picture, but once you begin bracketing your pictures, you'll really see the difference with HDR..

its a nice shot. gives this movie set feel for some reason. Rocks a bit soft perhaps.maybe its due to compression.

Very nice shot. Better than anything I got of the place for sure. It's been maybe 6-7 years since I been there. Did you do the whole loop trail? -- Just a note. The rocks there are monzogranite and fairly crumbly which makes them look soft, but they ain't.

Nice Picture... spent many camping trips to Johshu Tree - one of the last real peaceful places around... kinna spiritual..
This made for a really nice picture, but once you begin bracketing your pictures, you'll really see the difference with HDR..

Thanks, yes I feel like I must try and do it properly some time!

its a nice shot. gives this movie set feel for some reason. Rocks a bit soft perhaps.maybe its due to compression.

No they are soft, you're right. My lens sometimes has huge unfocused areas esp at the sides ...

Very nice shot. Better than anything I got of the place for sure. It's been maybe 6-7 years since I been there. Did you do the whole loop trail? -- Just a note. The rocks there are monzogranite and fairly crumbly which makes them look soft, but they ain't.

Thanks, no I didn't do the whole trail sadly because I had a cold that day :evil: Started and finished at Cottonwood if I recall rightly, didn't get to Lost Palm Oasis ... Another excuse to go back to that area :D

Most reactions

Back