Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve & Charcoal Factories

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just returned from a three days trip to Perak, Malaysia. On the first day, I spent nearly five hours exploring both Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve and Mangrove Charchoal Factories.

The mangrove forest reserve in Matang is the oldest and largest in Malaysia. It was gazetted as a forest reserve since 1906 and also known as one of the best managed tract in the world.

The mangrove charcoal factories produced cooking charcoals to be exported to both Japan and Korea as BBQ coals. These factories has large-sized igloo shaped kiln to cook the mangrove logs into perfected charcoals. The factory bosses were given limited area to log another location.

MAKING CHARCOAL - YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE BOTTOM

Here is one picture from my recent trip:

Picture 1 - CHOP & BURN - Mangrove Charchoal

CHARCOAL1_216.jpg

Harvested mangrove logs.
@Charcoal Factory

Cheers!
mylo

Last edited:
Nice photo, but I think if the hand wasn't there it would be better, like the photo was filled with wood, that would be nice!

Nice photo, but I think if the hand wasn't there it would be better, like the photo was filled with wood, that would be nice!

Thank you Al-Wazeer! . I guess old habits die hard. ;)

Here is another photo:

Picture 2 - The Charcoal Kiln

CHARCOAL5_362.jpg

An experienced worker can tell the condition of the log by feeling
the vaporized water/smoke that comes out of the holes of the kiln.

@Charcoal Factory

Cheers!
mylo

Any pictures of the Mangrove forests?

Thank you for asking! :hug::

Here are three photos of the mangrove forest reserve:

Picture 3 - The Roof of the Matter

MANGROVE14_104.jpg

Rhizophora mangrove send out roots from their trunk and branches which arch down to the
ground for extra support and air absorption.

@Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve

Picture 4 - Lush Greenery

MANGROVE35_186.jpg

Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve is one of the best managed tract in the world. The place is
SUPER BIG! I spent nearly two hours exploring the entire forest at a moderate pace.

Click here to view YouTube:

Cheers!
mylo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting them. I like #3 The Roof of the Matter showing the little bits of light that get through. I find Mangroves amazing trees.

Thanks for posting them. I like #3 The Roof of the Matter showing the little bits of light that get through. I find Mangroves amazing trees.

These mangrove trees are lovely!! There are numerous mangrove forest reserve in Malaysia. The largest and oldest is in Matang, Taiping.

Here are two more photos:

Picture 5 - Amazing Roots

MANGROVE39_026.jpg

This mangrove reminds me of the walking and talking giant
trees from the movie Lord of The Rings :)

Picture 6 - The Mangrove Seed

MANGROVE37_005.jpg

Mangroves have buoyant seeds suited to dispersal in water. The seeds germinate
while still attached to the parent tree. Once germinated, the seedling grows either
within the fruit or out through the fruit to form a propagule (a seedling ready to go),
which can produce its own food via photosynthesis.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back