What's new

Matlock Pier

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p1113281656-4.jpg
 
Ooooooo that's niiiiice...! I kinda wish the pier extended over to the right third of the frame...but I like this too!!
 
The smooth effect contrasts nicely with the pier, along with the monochrome.
 
When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was upside down thinking that the white part was the sky.

I love it. It's a great subject for b&w. The stark contrast really grabs your attention and draws you in to look more.
 
Nominated, September POTM.
 
I kinda wish the pier extended over to the right third of the frame...
I think the composition is a bit weird but can't put my finger on why. It works for me as is though; however, I think that a little bit less sky would make the composition more pleasing.

When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was upside down thinking that the white part was the sky.
Interesting thought :)

Nominated, September POTM.
Thanks kindly, Charlie!

And thanks everyone for taking a look and commenting.
 
Last edited:
I think the composition is a bit weird but can't put my finger on why. It works for me as is though; however, I think that a little bit less sky would make the composition more pleasing.
Yeah I think half of the sky increases the drama. The end of the pier is close to center, but I think the rest of it jutting out at the slight angle makes up for it. I think it is fantastic, and you are very welcome.
 
Great shot. Love it in BW.

How long did you wait to set this shot up? Love that the diagonals at the pier lead to the light in the sky.....and you lined the railing perfectly with the horizon. Your work inspires me.
 
That is one nice image. Very carefully crafted, but you don't see that until you start looking at the details. Spend about two to three minutes just looking at the image (in internet time, that's an eternity squared ;) ), and noticing something new every few seconds. It's almost a sacrilege to ask how you did that, but I have to ask... :D (just because I'm gonna fly out and go to the pier and try to take the same shot :-P ) :D
 
Canada is a creepy place!! How do you people live up there? lol
Invisible, I agree a little off the top might help the composition, but I like it the way it is. The composition the way it is gives me a little bit of an uneasy feeling, adding to the overall shot. The perfect composition isn't always the best one...lol
This was a well deserved nomination POTM!! Keep shooting, babe!!
 
Yeah I think half of the sky increases the drama.
I was thinking more along the lines of losing 25%, maybe 30% of the sky, but not more :)

How long did you wait to set this shot up?
You mean how long I waited for the scene to be exactly what I wanted to shoot? If so, I spent about two hours there. The shape of the clouds was changing constantly, as well as the direction and force of the wind, so the results of the long exposures varied as time went by. I came away with a few images I'm happy with, this one being one of them. (And many thanks for the kind words!)


It's almost a sacrilege to ask how you did that, but I have to ask... :D (just because I'm gonna fly out and go to the pier and try to take the same shot :-P ) :D
You might want to fly out as soon as you can, because the town of Matlock takes down the piers in the early fall every year :) I did nothing fancy to create this image -- just a ND filter (can't remember if I used a 3-stopper or 10-stopper for this one) stacked with a 3-stop gradual ND filter. The "tough" part was aligning the middle rail of the pier with the horizon -- I wanted the top of the pier to be higher than the horizon and also to make sure that the horizon line did not show in between rails.

Just wondering invisible, (great shot btw) was a gradual ND filter used for this?
See above :)

Thanks all!!
 
Happy Birthday, old man!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom