Mav's Mentoring & Blog Thread

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Mav, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I totally think you have a very good chance of being wrong.

And what will you do then? Brain cancer isn't exactly something you can just go "Whoops, I was wrong. Here, let me fix that. You want a bandaid honey?"

But I'll say no more. They're your kids.

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dude.... it wasn't even in a call! :wink:

My globe trotting product design engineering days were spent in the cellular hardware design industry, and if I named which companies I've worked for everyone would instantly recognize them. Now I have a boring desk job and never get to go anywhere, but that's OK since globe-trotting design jobs aren't compatible with raising a family with a wife who's also a professional, LOL. I think a lot of the stuff about cellular phones and links to brain cancer are over-hyped. Even so, cellular phone designs have evolved a lot just for the sake of consumer confidence since the first studies came about and it's really of no concern. At least in the US, there's quite tight regulations on emissions. I can elaborate quite extensively, but that's totally OT.

4. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice photos! :thumbup: All of them are nicely exposed with no annoying blown out to straight white skies or other highlights. On #2 the friend's daughter's face is obviously backlit. I might have tried a reflector or some fill flash, but you got the exposure right and I still like the mood that it creates as-is. A nice afternoon at the beach! :) My favorites are 3 and 4. Was this at the Gulf? Some of them do look just a bit soft to my eyes so I might try to add some sharpening in post. Try unsharp mask at 100-150% at radiuses between 0.3 and 1.0 pixels (0 threshold) and see what looks good. It'll help make them pop a little more. #4 is a good candidate for that. I'd like to see the kid just a little bit crisper while still keeping the water nice and blurred and out of focus.

5. ChrisP

ChrisP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Mav - I love the pics - great vivid shots! By the way, I rented the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR several weeks ago for my daughter's dance recital. No exciting composures as I was simply trying to get some shots given two 3-minute dances and the no-tripod / no-flash rules for the event. I used an ISO of 800 for most of these shots. Here's a few of my daughter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had chance of taking several more pics with the lens - here's the shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both of these taken handheld.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Chris, nice shots! Although the two of the dance recital are a bit tough to see due to the small size. I'd say you got it though. Those type of events are always tough unless you have all pro gear. What were your settings including focal length for those? The floral and bird shot are REALLY nice. Were both of those with the 70-200VR too? That's a really nice lens. I'm afraid to even RENT the thing because I know I'll just have to have one after that! ;)

7. ChrisP

ChrisP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Mav - yup, all were taken with that 70-200. For the event (this was one of those "sit through 20 or so other recitals until your kid's dance - 3 minutes of dance - then another 20 or so recitals until your kid's second dance"), I left lens at 200mm, ISO of 800, and f/2.8, and then simply kept snapping shots - think I took about 180 shots for the two 3-minute dances. Shot all in RAW so I could correct WB, lighting, etc. All four shots were handheld. Here's a link to larger sizes of the two recital pics in my SmugMug account: http://chris-p.smugmug.com/gallery/5369164_CDXKj#328743542_EMGS5

I really did enjoy renting that lens - although if I'm going to buy something in that range, I'll probably go with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (less than 1/2 of the Nikon price!). I'm heading to Maine for vacation in several weeks and will have plenty of landscape shots.

8. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

^ LOL, thanks Chris! Yeah she's a cutie. Enjoying her now while she's young because when she's older I KNOW she's gonna be trouble and then we'll want to remember her when she was little again! :p

Just to let you guys know, I have some very important personal/family affairs to attend to in the next week or two, so I'll be quite rare around here. Will catch up with everything here when I can though. In the meantime, keep shooting! :)