May be a stupid question, but I need some help.

MorningStarNicole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D-40. Under image quality in the setup menu, my options are: NEF (RAW), JPEG fine, JPEG normal, JPEG basic, and NEF (RAW)+JPEG basic. Which setting should I use? I was using JPEG normal with Large image size, but I've seen some posts here talking about RAW images, so I'm not sure. I also use Corel PaintShop Photo Pro to edit my photos, if that matters.

May be a dumb beginner's question, but I'll never learn if I don't ask.

Thanks!

MorningStarNicole said:
I have a Nikon D-40. Under image quality in the setup menu, my options are: NEF (RAW), JPEG fine, JPEG normal, JPEG basic, and NEF (RAW)+JPEG basic. Which setting should I use? I was using JPEG normal with Large image size, but I've seen some posts here talking about RAW images, so I'm not sure. I also use Corel PaintShop Photo Pro to edit my photos, if that matters.

May be a dumb beginner's question, but I'll never learn if I don't ask.

Thanks!

RAW files are the actual raw data from the camera. Technically speaking they aren't an image file. All cameras capture RAW, but most PS cameras and DSLRs that are set to JPEG immediately convert to JPEG. RAW creates a much larger file and basically requires PP be done to it. On the other hand, it contains far more data than a JPEG, isn't compressed like a JPEG, and allows a lot more flexibility in post.

Which mode you shoot depends on what works for you. If you're already doing PP on your shots, there's really no reason not to shoot RAW. I don't know if Corel comes with a RAW editor or not, but the software your camera came with should have one.

Keep in mind that there are some compelling reasons to shoot either mode. But most people who want the most from their photos shoot RAW.

Oh and if you decide to shoot JPEG, always use the highest quality setting. In your case, that would be JPEG - fine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back