Meat consumption

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As among my peers doing statistics regarding personal meat consumption become en vogue, I get curious how much meat everyone on this forum consumes ;)

As this month is not finished yet, and I started beginning of this year, my numbers are based on 19 days. Which is not a very strong statistics, I know ;)

Here we go:

total 1053 g (extrapolates to 1718 g / month)
of which are:
320 g rabbit
240 g pork
200 g beef
60 g chicken
232 g mixed/other (sausage, meat which came hidden in a pasta dish, in soups, ...)

This is meat as in consumable meat (no bones and so on), sausage, bacon, salami and all that included.

I am quite happy that this is less than the German average of 6000 g / month. However, as said, 19 days are not giving a strong statistics and I guess due to more travelling in coming weeks consumption will go up. In particular I usually have more chicken I would guess.

Anyone else willing to share? :)

Last edited:
The answer is...Bacon!!!

Seriously--I have NO idea how much meat I eat.
I probably only have one meal a week where I have a PIECE of meat (steak or chicken mostly).
I eat two sausage biscuits a week.
Pizza with chicken and bacon on it (other stuff too, but those are the meats) maybe once every three weeks.

Other than that, probably very little other meat. About once every three or four months, if my eldest son comes home, I buy bacon "for him". That's always a bad thing because it reminds me how much I love it and I have to fight off the urge to go buy another package and cook it and eat the whole package of bacon myself. :lol:

I have one son who is vegan--no meat or any animal product at all. My other son says he feels obligated to eat TWICE as much meat in order to restore balance to the world. :lmao:
He also made a resolution one year to eat his weight in bacon. He almost did it...

I have one son who is vegan--no meat or any animal product at all. My other son says he feels obligated to eat TWICE as much meat in order to restore balance to the world. :lmao:
He also made a resolution one year to eat his weight in bacon. He almost did it...
When trying to eat one's weight in bacon, one will double one's weight, therefore rendering the attempt useless... :lol:

When trying to eat one's weight in bacon, one will double one's weight, therefore rendering the attempt useless... :lol:

Unless one is young enough with a metabolism that doesn't stop. He is 6'5" and I think he weighs about 160-something. It's disgusting. :lmao:

What is the advantage/disadvantage of eating less meat?

I do not oppose the general idea of eating meat, and also I DO love its taste (well, if prepared to my taste ;) ), I also do occasionally eat raw meat (as in ground pork or steak tartare) and I know what it is like to kill an animal to eat it afterwards (which gives me definitely no nightmares).

My reasons are purely ecological as I oppose the meat industry which destroys this world at increasing pace.

But I do not want to make this thread an eco debate.

We do red meat for dinner around once a week (if husband were in charge of menu & shopping it would be higher!), chicken a couple times, vegetarian the others. Occasionally we use "other" (like sausage) but that's relatively rare. Basically never have pork/ham of any kind. We do like bacon though, but probably only go through less than 2 pounds a year for the family. And we don't eat it every week, but we always have sliced turkey in the fridge for a quick sandwich if we need.
I could go vegetarian if I needed to, I could live without the meat. It's eggs & dairy I'd have trouble ditching - I wouldn't make it a week as a vegan!

I eat meat of some type at least once everyday. A lot of chicken, fish, bison, and beef.
Without doing the actual math, I would guess that I would be close to or exceeding the German average. I eat a very high protein diet and for me, meat is the easiest/best source.

I've been going through some serious gastro/ intestinal issues (to the point where the pain was transferring to my chest giving me heart attack like symptoms) and had to completely revamp my diet. I've drastically reduced my intake of meats and portion sizes. I've gone to a more raw food style of eating and pretty much have to make everything myself to control what goes in it. On the bright side, I've dropped some lbs due to the fact that I pretty much can't eat anything anymore. LOL.

I don't eat any red meat at all, for various reasons (different reasons for different red meats), but I eat poultry pretty probably on average three times a week. The amount probably is about a quarter pound on average, so in Alex's terms, about 1140 g/month.

I probably eat double the average German's consumption.

Five days a week I usually have a salad for lunch with 6 to 8oz (226 - 283 grams) of meat in it (weekend are wide open.. usually more). For Dinner, I usually have 8 to 12ozs (226 - 340 grams) of meat as the main course. And I don't eat as large a portion as I used to when I was younger. Growing up in Texas, beef was a big staple. I love my beef, probably the largest percentage of meat consumed, with chicken being next! I also eat a lot of chicken and pork. When available, I also eat Elk, Venison (deer), Turkey and other fowl, sausages and lot of seafood / fish.

One reason for the protein consumption is that I get hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), and protein has always been the best available source of of long lasting, stable nutrition to help prevent that. I also eat a lot of nut, berries, ground roots, and fibrous veggies. Almost NO processed Carbohydrates... Just don't care for them.

Most reactions

Back