medium format cameras??

lukeybaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
does n e one here use medium format manual SLRs???????? if so, how big can you enlarge an image before it gets "fuzzy"?? and what brands are good? what is the fastest shutter speed on a meduium format cam??

luke z

I own a Pentax 67II w/ 90mm f/2.8 LS and 165mm f/4 LS lenses, and a Norita 6x6 w/ 80mm f/2 lens. I usually shoot Tmax 100 or HP5 400. I've found that the 16"x20" (or 16"x16") prints I make from theses negs seem sharper than 8"x10"s from a 35mm neg. I know that there are folks who blow up 6x7 negs much larger than 16x20. That guy who goes all over and shoots big crowds of nekkid people uses a Pentax 67, and I think he blows his prints up to wall size.

The fastest shutter speed on the P67II is 1/2000th, but the flash sync speed is a slow 1/30th. Other brands of MF cameras may have faster overall shutter speeds, and almost all have faster flash sync speeds.

Popular MF SLR brands are: Pentax, Hasseblad, Mamiya, Bronica. There are others, and also many types of MF cameras that are not SLRs.

I have a Mamiya RB67-Pro-S. The fastest shutter speed is 1/400, the flash syncs at all speeds since it's a leaf shutter.

The negative is 6x7 (2¼x2-3/4 inches). I shoot T-Max-400ASA, I rate it at 200 ASA because I develope in Microdol-X which renders negatives with almost no grain at all. I have enlaged to 16x20 with no noticeable difference in quality, sharp as a tack. How much you enlarge is relative to the quality of your negative. That also applies to 35mm which I have also made 11x14s with great quality.

Most reactions

Back