Mega *anti-hacking* anti-intrusion* thread-share tips and tricks to stay protected

Well, most script-kiddies are. People who like to do simple crap like SQL injections into lazy administrators' databases and then tout their 733t abilities tend to be lonely people. People who desire notoriety but cannot find a way to do so normally. I am not saying OP is this way necessarily as I see what he was attempting to do. He is passionate about his interests and wants to be a help to others. I commend him for that at least and for keeping all of this in Off-Topic which is where it belongs. I don't see a problem with it.

I deal with this crap day in and day out.. I guess I don't have your tolerance anymore! lol!

This whole thread is *very nearly* as interesting as my next task, organizing all my cans of soup alphabetically (Where does Alphabet soup go? A? or do I need to put some of it in each letter category?...) :D

But, speaking of hacking:
HOW did AgentDrex manage to LIKE Charlie's post TWICE??
Is that showing on anyone else's computer? I'm seeing "AgentDrex, AgentDrex and Aliyawar like this."

Ya'll carry on talking about hacking, and stopping hackers, and whatever in the world else it is you were talking about--I dozed through most of the thread--but I believe AgentDrex just won. :lol:

EDIT: Just to be clear--that was humor. I have NO intention of organizing my soup cans alphabetically. I'll be lucky if I manage to put them all up in the cabinet, instead of leaving them in the grocery bag down on the kitchen floor... :lol:

Here's a life tip for you aliyawar. I'm not sure how old you are or what you have learned so far, so take this as you may but I've always found that giving a thought ten or more seconds to brew can save a lot of trouble with people. I used to speak my mind when upset and ended up making my ex-girlfriend pretty upset with me. Our argument would never come to an agreeable conclusion. Then I figured out that what was happening is we were two people shouting off things as soon as we thought of them. I started to give myself ten seconds when I thought of something to say and within those ten seconds, I started to think that what I was about to say would not be positive in the long run and so just junked that thought and each subsequent negative one until a positive came through and then I would speak that. I found that through doing so, I was able to see that the relationship of eight years was not going to make it a year further. I cannot change others the way I had wanted and the situation was getting worse for me and so I took my leave.

All of this was meant to tell you to give some time into thought before speaking your mind. You don't need to be defensive about everything. It's not letting other people win by not telling them off, it is you being the mature one and not giving in to their ruse of bringing negativity out in you (most people don't know they do that at all but that is exactly what is happening). I'm an ex-troll (I used to get off on watching people get upset), an ex-prank caller (and a damned-fine one at that [before Jerky Boys]), a puter geek, a learner, a teacher (not professionally but all of us are teachers at one point or another) and a human being just like all of you. So take that for what it's worth to you.

As for the double-like on a previous post, I probably had nothing to do with that anymore that aliyawar may have. If neither of us did anything to do that, then it most likely is an error in a script this place runs. On my side, I see " [ARG:4 UNDEFINED]".

Last edited:
naw, its all in good fun. no offense meant, and none taken.

No offense taken here either...i had lots of fun with you today...you have a killer sense of humour.... i mean it... :):)

Well, most script-kiddies are. People who like to do simple crap like SQL injections into lazy administrators' databases and then tout their 733t abilities tend to be lonely people. People who desire notoriety but cannot find a way to do so normally. I am not saying OP is this way necessarily as I see what he was attempting to do. He is passionate about his interests and wants to be a help to others. I commend him for that at least and for keeping all of this in Off-Topic which is where it belongs. I don't see a problem with it.

I deal with this crap day in and day out.. I guess I don't have your tolerance anymore! lol!

This whole thread is *very nearly* as interesting as my next task, organizing all my cans of soup alphabetically (Where does Alphabet soup go? A? or do I need to put some of it in each letter category?...) :D

Is that showing on anyone else's computer? I'm seeing "AgentDrex, AgentDrex and Aliyawar like this."

Ya'll carry on talking about hacking, and stopping hackers, and whatever in the world else it is you were talking about--I dozed through most of the thread--but I believe AgentDrex just won. :lol:

EDIT: Just to be clear--that was humor. I have NO intention of organizing my soup cans alphabetically. I'll be lucky if I manage to put them all up in the cabinet, instead of leaving them in the grocery bag down on the kitchen floor... :lol:

Ha ha ha :):) agentdrex is the best geek i have ever met..the rest were all snobs... i mean it when i say it... :):)you people are so cheerful...this is the only forum i have been regular on...and i don;t plan to leave ever... :):)

Here's a life tip for you aliyawar. I'm not sure how old you are or what you have learned so far, so take this as you may but I've always found that giving a thought ten or more seconds to brew can save a lot of trouble with people. I used to speak my mind when upset and ended up making my ex-girlfriend pretty upset with me. Our argument would never come to an agreeable conclusion. Then I figured out that what was happening is we were two people shouting off things as soon as we thought of them. I started to give myself ten seconds when I thought of something to say and within those ten seconds, I started to think that what I was about to say would not be positive in the long run and so just junked that thought and each subsequent negative one until a positive came through and then I would speak that. I found that through doing so, I was able to see that the relationship of eight years was not going to make it a year further. I cannot change others the way I had wanted and the situation was getting worse for me and so I took my leave.

All of this was meant to tell you to give some time into thought before speaking your mind. You don't need to be defensive about everything. It's not letting other people win by not telling them off, it is you being the mature one and not giving in to their ruse of bringing negativity out in you (most people don't know they do that at all but that is exactly what is happening). I'm an ex-troll (I used to get off on watching people get upset), an ex-prank caller (and a damned-fine one at that [before Jerky Boys]), a puter geek, a learner, a teacher (not professionally but all of us are teachers at one point or another) and a human being just like all of you. So take that for what it's worth to you.

As for the double-like on a previous post, I probably had nothing to do with that anymore that aliyawar may have. If neither of us did anything to do that, then it most likely is an error in a script this place runs. On my side, I see " [ARG:4 UNDEFINED]".

I am 17 and I never meant any offense to any member...i was trying to be polite..... don't you notice the smilies... I think it's the language barrier..(english is my 3rd language)..that made you think I was getting angry... I never got angry even on the computer forums... and I appreciate your advice ...this forum has taught me so much... :):)

I'm pretty sure I opened his eyes a little. He should have learned from his other story about getting busted for creating an admin account at that university and then subsequently bragging about it at forums. Real hackers are like the guys you trust the most to sell weed to. They won't drop the dime on anyone for any reason. They'll take the time and fall if necessary and yet will not cave in. Its the squeaky mice that stop the wheel. Keep the mouth shut. The ones that have a need to show their muscles, push people around, stand on a platform with a loud voice (Look what I did, can do, will do) have some issues with importance. I'm pretty sure that is why this world is so screwed up. People so hungry for attention and not realizing that attention fully elsewhere, they'll stop at nothing to be the next trending topic on the interwebz.

Thanks Drex,i have learnt from that story...I don't do any black-hat stuff anymore and never trade anything with the punks on HackBB..and never brag about anything i do unless it is safe...Bitter jeweller asked for it and hence I told him the story.... and the deface pages you see there,I have informed the admin about the vulnerability....( it was a file uploader vulnerabilty in the first case and I infected the other one with a rat...) they have fixed the deface page on their homepage but left a page somewhere down in the folders...I think as a thanking note or something..maybe..or maybe they haven't noticed it..however... it is safe...I just wanted to give the people a taste of being hacked....that's all ..and it's all safe...I have taken down the shell and I can only change the picture because it is hosted on my own account...that's all...thanks again :)

Regards:)

naw, its all in good fun. no offense meant, and none taken.

Thanks... see this is why i started this thread here instead of some computer forum...people here are jolly and friendly...not like the snobs on most of those forums..here you can be funny without trying to hurt other's feeling..... i love this forum.:)

So let's get over with this thing and get started on the real thing... I am going to post something about avoiding phishing tomorrow...it is not technically hacking but is very dangerous nonetheless.... kindly post your own experience...

REgards

Here's an anti-phishing tip from a Network/Systems Administrator point-of-view:

Network and systems administrators never need your username or password and will never ask for it. We can change all of that on our own. Someone who asks you for this information obviously cannot change it and thus is not in a position to have it. Don't give it to them. It would seem like common sense but most of the successful hacks were from simple social engineering techniques such as these.

Example at some huge corporate office. Potential hacker finds number of vice president of the organization: "Hello, this is Dave down in the dungeon, the server room if you will. Is this Mr. Penske?" "Yes, it is. How can I help you Dave?" "Well sir, I certainly don't mean to bother you but we had a small mishap, nothing major but one of the account servers went down just a couple minutes ago. I tried to get her back up and running but she's a goner I'm afraid." "That doesn't sound good, how can I help?" "Its not as bad as it sounds, no major data was lost but unfortunately a few account logins are lost. I have another account server sitting here ready to get to work but I need your old username and password so I can get your account back up and running as soon as possible to minimize downtime." "Should we just change the password, make a new one or something?" "No need to do that sir. I know that you have a lot on your mind and we really appreciate all you do for us. I figure we can just keep the same username and password so you have one less thing to stress over. So having said that, if you can give me that, I'll get right to work on the account and let you get back to your day."

I would hope this wouldn't work but in a larger place, it's easy for the higher-ups to lose track of all the people that work for them. Hence, if you find a person who doesn't take the time to think about these potential situations occurring and goes along with what you ask, you've found yourself a little way further into the target system.

*it worked a lot when I was younger. In 2001, I would look for corporate numbers, names of higher-ups and a little history of the target organization. I would then call them in the early afternoon, right after lunch, when most people are susceptible to engineering. It didn't work all of the time but at least ninety-percent. I made it sound like I knew what I was talking about, wanted to genuinely help resolve this made up issue and knew the organization as if though I truly worked there for a while. People were very eager to help me "help" them. Once I got the username/password, I would use Ghostmail to send the real administrators of the organization an email stating what I had done and what I was able to get. This was in an attempt to make sure policies and procedures into network security were looked into and strengthened. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to go about things but I was young. Now I could care less for lazy administrators. Let them get hacked for all I care. I'll just make sure I am safe out there.

Last edited:
Between 2001 and 2003 I was learning to do the hacking thing but all that coding bored me. I noticed a lot of script-kiddies out there using the skills of others for malicious intent while having no true coding skill of their own. I decided there was no need for me to continue learning how to hack since I thought of some nifty workarounds to prevent it from happening to me to a point. I tried getting into some archaic languages (x86 assembly, C [mainly for Bourne-Again-Shell scripting] and my favorite GForth) but that too bored me. Ten years later, I wonder where I'd be if I would have kept going. It's interesting to see these new kids getting into it. I don't let it bother me, I understand their plight. Everyone wants to get noticed now for one thing or another. Its just a new paradigm-shift thanks to the internet.

Yea... you are right! I goofed around in the late 70's - early 80's for a while.. found a lot of sites that didn't have security setup, still using the manufacturer default passwords on router, firewalls systems, etc... didn't have to do much hacking to get in, lol! But it wasn't with malicious intent.. just exploring! I was on a couple of Usenet groups that shared info on such things. Did some phreaking... that was about it. About the only languages I ever messed with were 6502 Assembler, Applesoft Basic, Commodore basic, and an early modular pascal for the Apple IIGS. Got tired of coding... and quit doing it. About the most I do now is write batch files to automate things like network wide registry modification, and multiple server restarts after patching....

I hate script-kiddies... no talent.... just BS!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Banyan-Vines... I was a sys-admin on that system for a large, unnamed company.... and learned to "play" with it pretty well, wrote some code to mess with my fellow sys-admins. It had some interesting capabilities... lol! I was glad when we finally converted to NT4 though!

Last edited:

Watch the movie Sneakers, that will show people how the real OG do it lol. I'll alphabetize your soup Oo OCD is telling me to do it lol.

Watch the movie Sneakers, that will show people how the real OG do it lol. I'll alphabetize your soup Oo OCD is telling me to do it lol.

and read the book Hackers by S. Levy.... it details the history of "Hacking" starting back in early MIT days when a "hack" was just a really cool use of the available languages, tools and systems. The term "hacker" was not even malicious back then... fascinating book.

If you were OCD, you'd spell it CDO, so its in alphabetical order, like it should be. :)

But yeah, Sneakers is the only hacker movie out there still. War Games had a little bit too. But that movie Hackers, that bothered me. Whoever wrote that kept going between mentioning Intel then showing Apple products. It was a bad attempt at trying to outdo Sneakers. A real hacking movie would bore the crap out of most people.

Some of the books I have:
Hacking Exposed - Network Security Secrets & Solutions, 2nd and 3rd editions
O'Reilly - Google Hacks, 1st Edition
Introduction to Buffer Overflow, A pretty rare text document by Ghost_Rider
The Network Press - Encyclopedia of Networking - Second Edition
Sybex Cisco CCNP Routing Study Guide
Linux Complete Command Reference, 1,200 pages
The Little Black Book of Computer Viruses, Mark Ludwig

Windows Assembly Language & Systems Programming, 2nd Edition
OpenGL Super Bible

Last edited:
Between 2001 and 2003 I was learning to do the hacking thing but all that coding bored me. I noticed a lot of script-kiddies out there using the skills of others for malicious intent while having no true coding skill of their own. I decided there was no need for me to continue learning how to hack since I thought of some nifty workarounds to prevent it from happening to me to a point. I tried getting into some archaic languages (x86 assembly, C [mainly for Bourne-Again-Shell scripting] and my favorite GForth) but that too bored me. Ten years later, I wonder where I'd be if I would have kept going. It's interesting to see these new kids getting into it. I don't let it bother me, I understand their plight. Everyone wants to get noticed now for one thing or another. Its just a new paradigm-shift thanks to the internet.

Yea... you are right! I goofed around in the late 70's - early 80's for a while.. found a lot of sites that didn't have security setup, still using the manufacturer default passwords on router, firewalls systems, etc... didn't have to do much hacking to get in, lol! But it wasn't with malicious intent.. just exploring! I was on a couple of Usenet groups that shared info on such things. Did some phreaking... that was about it. About the only languages I ever messed with were 6502 Assembler, Applesoft Basic, Commodore basic, and an early modular pascal for the Apple IIGS. Got tired of coding... and quit doing it. About the most I do now is write batch files to automate things like network wide registry modification, and multiple server restarts after patching....

I hate script-kiddies... no talent.... just BS!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Banyan-Vines... I was a sys-admin on that system for a large, unnamed company.... and learned to "play" with it pretty well, wrote some code to mess with my fellow sys-admins. It had some interesting capabilities... lol! I was glad when we finally converted to NT4 though!

Yes,you are right about script kiddies but they are the ones who wreak most havoc for the general public...targetting random comuters..so lame... here in India,most of the kids are exposed to programming very young(I am from India)..have you ever tried python..it is a very interesting language..and most of the famous "hacks" that took place in the early days were done like that only...thanks for sharing your experience..:)

Regards.. :)

and read the book Hackers by S. Levy.... it details the history of "Hacking" starting back in early MIT days when a "hack" was just a really cool use of the available languages, tools and systems. The term "hacker" was not even malicious back then... fascinating book.

I have that book...I will read it as soon as possible.. thanks :)

Most reactions

Back