mega Spider

ats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is a picture taken from a series I shot (various items) 2 days ago
and I want some opinions on how I could make it better next time

things I dont like about the picture, some parts of the leg are out of focus, the right side of the web is out of focus and if someone could help me improve this photo (without photoshop I know I can fix things but I rather see if I coudl get it straight from the start.)

P7150148.JPG

Increase your 'Depth Of Field' by stopping down by one or two stops.
I think this will solve the "out of focus legs" issue.

How big is that spider? :)

i think the out of focus leg (o.o.f. leg?) is the only thing that really bothers me, and not by much. the oof web in the background is fine as it is, gives you a perspective on the closeness of the rest of the web

I really like it. It's very successful, because everything in this photo leads the eye to a single focal point.

First, the focus range. The focus fades out from the spider web, thus leads your attention on the part just beneath the spider.

The spider web's pattern itself is directional.

The bright spot of light right at the focal point that is from the back ground REALLY help to strengthen the focal point.

You see, there isn't too much attention on the spider itself to destract the attention from the focal point. Now, I'm not saying that the subject changes from the spider to the focal point. The focal point is simply an element in a photo that brings things together. The subject is still clearly the spider, but it works well with everything else. No extra attention drawn, but just enough to complete the picture.

One thing I would do is resize to about 600-650 pixels wide. I'm currently on my home computer with it's smaller screen and 800x600 resolution. It's difficult to evaluate this properly while scrolling back and forth and up and down to see it.

One thing I noticed is that is seem just a little cool and greenish for my taste. Increasing red some and yellow a very small amount might make the green and yellow pop a little more. It's very pretty. With an immobile subject I often take a dozen or two pictures and on many I slightly shift the area that the auto macro focus is directed toward. I will also go to aperture priority and shoot several on different aperture settings. This seems to give me a much better chance of ending up with a focus I like. This is of course much more practical with digital.

I'm archanophobic too, bleh, hate spideers and I'm horrified of them. But the photo is really good, however I couldn't look at THIS for a long time :/

danalec99 said:
how big is that spider?

The spider is actually about 2" long:) and I was doing Super Macro Mode on the camera and I was about ~2-3" away from it.

molested_cow said:
The bright spot of light right at the focal point that is from the back ground REALLY help to strengthen the focal point.

Yes that was one of the major things I was trying to acheive, permit the ray of light from the morning sun to run throught the oak leaves, I was trying to bring sunlight from under the spider, hoping to bring attention to it (thank you for the explanation of what a photographic focal point is)..

drdan said:
One thing I would do is resize to about 600-650 pixels wide.

One thing I noticed is that is seem just a little cool and greenish for my taste. Increasing red some and yellow a very small amount might make the green and yellow pop a little more.

This is of course much more practical with digital.

Well I am very green at photo editing with photoshop, I am reading up on it. This picture was taken with a digital camera (olympus C2500L SLR type camera - still working on the manual (240pages).

Sorry about that, image resized.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back