melancholy girl

eyeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
She is 2. She isnt really melancholy, but she is so active that the only clear photos of her are when she is pouting (as 2 year olds do so well!). I would love CC on overall impression, but mostly of B&W conversion. I tried greyscale with extra contrast. One 2 I did a vignette and 3 I did a texture to erased it off her face.

IMG_6299-1.jpg

IMG_6295-1.jpg

IMG_6284-1.jpg

nothing? I must be REALLY off these days

I really like the 3rd photo the best. Sorry can't offer any 'technical' criticism. I'm a newbie.

thats ok. Non-tech c&c is good too :D

Non responsiveness here usually means "so-so"...not horribly sucky. If they suck, people will definitely speak up. If they are amazing, people will speak up. If they are "nice", people generally move on.

I love the lighting and sharpness in 1. The angle in 2 is a little weird, totally an opinion thing. 3 is cute, I think the hair in her mouth bugs me a little. Overall good exposure!

Non responsiveness here usually means "so-so"...not horribly sucky. I

yep I know that...although I comment on photos from crap to amazing and in between. I have also seen really good photos go mostly unnoticed. Seen really bad ones praised. Its a tough crowd

Thanks for your comments. Totally agree with odd angle on 2, but I have gotten some good feedback onit...think its really a personal taste thing (seems far too depressed for a 2 year old!) and yes, hair in mouth made me crazy. There was a hair style change after I saw that one and I couldnt take it any more haha

they are pleasant photos.

I'm sure number 3 would look nice in a frame on you mantle piece. :)

I thinkt heir really nice! I can't find anything wrong and she's such a gorgeous girl!

She's gorgeous, and the pictures are really great in black and white..

What a beautiful girl! The first two are the better shots...its just that the mood is depressing.

Isnt she dramatic? She looks like her favorite dolly was kidnapped. The *pout* was over a candy cane. II told her should couldn't have a second one. I thought it was funny, perfect shots for a moody 15 year old but not what I was hoping for 2 year portraits. Going to try again thursday or friday

#1 is very definitely an outstanding portrait. #2 is pretty good, kind of arty. #3 is ordinary.

You've got a winner in #1. I'd take the contrast and/or brightness down very slightly. And it could use some film grain -- do you have a PhotoShop plug-in for that?

The reason #1 is a success is that you can see the girl and then the young woman this 2-year-old will become. There is a "longer period of time" captured here, and it extends well into the future. That's what makes it worth viewing now, and again, and again.

Well done!

wow, thanks for such a thoughtful critique!

The important thing to understand about portraiture is that if you capture some attitude or reaction from one instant, it may be enjoyable, or interesting, or serve some purpose, but it won't trancend. That is, it won't have a larger meaning or show us something important about life.

You need to get "time" into the portrait, to either show "a life lived" or a "life to come." Start looking at portraits this way and determine whether they are of the moment, or suggest a longer period of time. The best ones are the latter and become timeless.

Most reactions

Back