Memory card capacities

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a 'rule of thumb', or specific number of images a 1, 2, 3, or 4GB card will hold? Does ISO have something to do with it, or the pixel number of the sensor? I'm thinking for a Nikon d-90. I've looked, but can't seem to find anything. Can you suggest a place to look?
Thanks, Tom Beard
P.S. Thanks for the help with cleaning stuff. My old Canon F-1 body and three lenses are now all spiffy. Hope to get out to shoot tomorrow. TB

It all depends on the size of your files... RAW files are huge, .jpg files are smaller. 8mp, 10mp, 15mp sensors... it's all different.
For the D90, a 12.3mp camera, I'd say probably ~155 pictures per gb of card storage for a .jpg file.

I forgot to put the RAW part in, I knew it eats up a lot of space. I would be shooting mostly JPG. Thanks for the info. TB

File size will vary with the scene you shoot. So, the numbers are always approximate.

In round numbers: if you have a 10 MP camera and shoot RAW, 1 GB = 1000 MB so, 1000 / 10 = 100 images.

If you shoot JPEG Large, file size is reduced by a factor of 4 so for every 1 GB you can record about 400 JPEG Large images.

there should be a chart in the manual that gives a guide line for how many images at what resolution. If you don't have the guide go to Nikon's web site and check out the specs for the camera, or the online manual.

as also has been mentioned what your image contains makes a difference as well

Most reactions

New Topics

Back