metering mode

shingfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
can you pros help me understand the metering modes....and how does it pratically work and when should i use the different mode?.....when would be a good time to use matrix or spot?....i have a nikon D80

I use matrix 90% of the time on my D70s. You'd want to use spot metering for possibly high contrast subjects. for example, if you took a picture of a person in front of a bright window and didn't want the person to come out black, you'd use spot metering and put your selected AF point on the person so the camera would expose for that instead of the window light.

I use spot, or center weighted average for everything. I like to use the zone system, and therefore I like to know the exposure of different parts of my scene, selectively.

Matrix metering divides the field of view into 5 zones, 4 corners, and a center. A reading is taken of each zone, and each zone is averaged. Then those averages are added together and averaged to come up with your exposure. If you have a tricky lighting scenario, it can sometimes fool this type of metering.

Spot metering is usually tied to the center focus point, and measures the exposure value of a very tiny part of the frame, usually less than 10 degrees.

for spot metering....is it measuring the "focus point"....or only the "centre focus point"?.....

also...matt...you mention that you use the zone system to know the exposure of different parts selectively....are you also able to expose different zone selectively on a single image?....or need to combine images with different exposure?...HDR?....if you dont mind...i like to learn a bit about making practical use of the metering system

Usually, spot metering in TTL metering is linked to the center focus point. You'll have to check your manual.

As for the zone system, you have to know the dynamic range of your medium. Most digital sensors can safely record around 5-7 stops. You should read up on the zone system via a google search.

Most reactions

Back