metering timer length?

stevet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In your opinion, what is a good metering timer length?

I'm thinking in terms of exposure lock.

I noticed that in my menu settings, my metering timer goes as high as 30 minutes. I don't see how you could hold the shutter button down halfway for that long.

Steve Thomas

No need for a 30 minute setting as it will be a drain on your battery and unless you are always looking through the viewfinder for that 30 minutes it is a waist of electrons.

I set mine to 10 or 30 seconds depending on the subject, by just a single press of AF-On or shutter button the meter lights up if it has gone to sleep.

In your opinion, what is a good metering timer length?

I did some further reading. It's something that is used in Live View mode and displays the meter on your screen for as long as you set the meter timer. The maximum is 30 minutes because that's as long as you can take a video at any one sitting.
It doesn't have anything to with exposure lock.

Steve Thomas

Due to licensing issues, DSLR’s can not capture video any longer than 29 minutes 59 seconds IIRC, something to due with video cine camera license requirements.

Yes, exposure lock is simply setting the camera in manual mode. My cameras will lock the exposure for days if I don’t change a setting, lol.

Most reactions

Back