Metering

Knapton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone explain to me what metering is because I hear it talked about a lot but I dont know what it is or what it does.

metering is when the camera measures the amount of light to determine what correct exposure is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

Your camera uses a meter for calculating the correct exposure. It takes a measurement of light from your focal point and suggests an appropriate exposure.

In auto modes the meter provides information to the camera in order to calculate both aperture/shutter/and ISO settings

In aperture priority mode you the user decides the aperture setting and your camera responds with an appropriate shutter speed and vise versa with shutter priority mode

In manual mode you decide both aperture and shutter.... the meter will advise whether or not you have selected a combination for a correct exposure...

in manual the meter is found through your view finder.... you want it to read dead center for a correct exposure, to the left for overexposure, and to the right for under exposure...

Generally most meters show five stops of variance typically measured in thirds.

yes, to the left is an underexposure, and to the right is overexposure. at least that's how it is with my 350D

errrrr..... pretty sure I'm right.... sooooo..... must be a Nikon/Canon thing...

you canon people do everything backwards....:lmao:

Negative has always been to the left, positive to the right, generally speaking. UNDER exposure, means negative, OVER means above, like positive. To the right! We aren't in china, we don't read right to left....

Negative has always been to the left, positive to the right, generally speaking. UNDER exposure, means negative, OVER means above, like positive. To the right! We aren't in china, we don't read right to left....

huh?

so when we read something and begin on the left it is negative and the ending of the sentence is on the right so it's positive?

democrats are negative?

republicans are positive?

so confusing.... I'm either being out Canon'd or I have one very special camera... Nikonians Unite.... somebody back me up here...

Yes, overexposure is to the left and vice versa. Perhaps Nikon chose this method because to the left, you are generally slowing things down to allow more light to the sensor.. so its negative. Sounds good to me! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back