Roger3006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.midsouthgunslinger.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone

Is anyone aware of a decent quality zoom micro, in the range of 35mm-100mm for a Nikon. I am normally a prime lens guy but for what I am doing a zoom would be perfect.

I am photographing firearms for online sales. I am not doing extreme close-ups but closer than what a normal lens will perform. I am switching back and forth between a 50mm and a 105mm which gets time consuming.

Thank you all for your help and have a great day.

Grits

My friend has the 18-105 And just crops.

To the heart. by Omygodtom, on Flickr

Don't know how Macro you need for firearms?

As I also use the 55-200vr and crop

55-200vr Macro Dandelion Test Max Crop & Sharpen by Orbmiser, on Flickr

And can get pretty close at 1:3 macro

Minumum focus distance

Lady Bug on the Spiny Bridge by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Then Crop

Lady Bug on the Spiny Bridge - Max Crop by Orbmiser, on Flickr

All comes down to how macro you need. As with firearms don't see the need for true macro?

The Nikon 60mm macro sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

Why are you using a Macro lens to shoot guns? Even the smallest Derringer would be too large for "Macro"!

Are you shooting the manufacturers markings or something? Details? Engraving? Checkering?

Handguns? Rifles? What are you shooting? What lighting? How much room do you have to shoot them in? The last thing you would want here is anything below 50mm.. you would stand a good chance of getting distortion in the long guns, at least.

I hear good things about the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, I also am thinking about a good macro.

I hear good things about the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, I also am thinking about a good macro.

This.

Wonderful lens for a great price. Although the OP is looking for a zoom...

how about using a zoom lens with macro tubes? kenko tubes offer full AFS support.

like others are saying you may not need the 1:1 distancing of the macro either, in that case just get the tubes and use a kit lens at a decent f stop.

This.

Wonderful lens for a great price. Although the OP is looking for a zoom...

and he already has a 105 that outperforms the Tamron anyway! lol!

Well that will teach me to read everything first, you are all so very kind to bring this to my attention, thank you guys :lmao: what would the world do without you all

Thanks for the replies.

I shoot a lot of detail. My 105 is great for most of what I do. It is perfect for handguns and detail on long guns. I do not have enough room to get back far enough to photograph an entire rifle or shotgun with my 105. I change to a 50 or my 35-70 F2.8D. I plan on buying the Nikkor 60mm Micro but is is a tad long for some of my shots (can't get back far enough).

You are right, I can photograph a derringer with a 50mm lens; however, I cannot photograph a proof mark not much bigger than the head of a pin with a standard lens.

What I am looking for might not exist. If that is the case, I will continue changing lens to maintain the quality I desire.

Thank you all for your help and have a great evening.

Roger

Most reactions

New Topics

Back