is it normal for a zoom lens to be stuck sometimes?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed that only when I am using the camera and shooting, sometimes my lens (24-105) canon will not zoom in no matter what. I have to forcibly zoom in and out to get it to work. It shouldn't be that hard. does it have to do anything with the internal? is it the distance? what could it be? normal?

What kind of camera nd how old?

2013 camera canon an 24-105 mm lens

-

Yes, normal for gear requiring a technical check up — don't force anything!
thanks!

why does it happen so often? like I'm not sure why it get stucks sometimes and other times I can zoom in and out seamlessly. what make it stop?

A zoom lens is an intricate set of inner rings that are
moving as groups but at different speed. The thread
is different for each ring and can be very fine — in the
case of non pro lenses, these are made of plastic and
subject to displacement within the lens barrel.

To be handled with care.

thanks!

what make it stop?
A new lens will make it stop!!! LoL
most zooms have 3 guide pins on an inner barrel that slide in grooves on an outer barrel. Those pins can come loose or even break off. If that's the L lens they're probably metal screws. If one is loose or broken then every now and then it may get stuck in its groove causing the lens to get stuck. when it's not stuck try shaking the lens and see if you hear anything rattling in there. If it rattles might be a broken pin. If it does not rattle when its stuck it might be cause it's hung up and stuck, thus not rattling when stuck.
Maybe replace that lens with a 200-400 f4, they're really beefy and much more bullet-proof, not to mention a good workout when using it!!!
SS

Most reactions

Back