Mid-Range Zoom Questions

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding a mid range zoom. I currently own the Nikon D7000, and don't really have any immediate plans to go FX. When I purchased the camera, I only purchased the body, and didn't receive a kit lens. Currently I shoot mostly with my 50mm 1.4 from Nikon. I'm looking for a mid range zoom, and have a budget of approx $750.

I'm hoping for something with a fixed aperture of 2.8 throughout the range, but have heard a lot about the Nikon 18-200mm VR II. I know this goes well beyond your typical mid-range.

As far as purpose, photography is a hobby for me. I shoot anything and everything, but am eager to improve my portrait skills.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to third party lenses as well.

Thanks!

Mike

but have heard a lot about the Nikon 18-200mm VR II
I wouldn't call the 18-200 a "mid-range zoom" :)

What you're looking for, depending on how wide you'd like to go, is either the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I've personally owned the 28-75 and loved it. $750 should be more than enough to get either of them... but it might also get you an old trusty Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 if you are lucky.

Most reactions

Back