Midge

lesno1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
100494095_10223239746967819_6852370950671826944_n-sharpen-sharpen.jpg

I think the crop has reduced the IQ but being so small it's a difficult subject.

I got rid of my Sigma 105. Never really got on with it. Much prefer the 60-65mm range for insect work. It's more challenging for sure but also rewarding.

I like this shot, nice detail. I like the Sigma 105mm, but it is taking some getting used to. It definitely works better with manual focusing in live view.

I like this shot, nice detail. I like the Sigma 105mm, but it is taking some getting used to. It definitely works better with manual focusing in live view.
Thanks Jeff the Sigma 105 and 150 are very highly regarded lenses for macro and portraits i use it with back button focusing so fast

Personally, I wouldn't bother with AF on such small subjects or with close working distances. This may be contributing to you slightly missing the focus on a number of your pictures.

I'd recommend manual focus or set the focus and move the camera and lens back and forth slightly to hit the focus. Tried and tested method and commonly used by macro photographer's.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with AF on such small subjects or with close working distances. This may be contributing to you slightly missing the focus on a number of your pictures.

I'd recommend manual focus or set the focus and move the camera and lens back and forth slightly to hit the focus. Tried and tested method and commonly used by macro photographer's.
I couldn’t imagine not having it.
It just makes sense and is a lot more intuitive IMO.
I can keep the back button pressed and focus on pressing the shutter when needed and know the focus will be right.
It’s a personal preference, the only person who knows whether it’ll work for you is you.
There’s no ‘right’ except what’s right for you.

I couldn’t imagine not having it.
It just makes sense and is a lot more intuitive IMO.
I can keep the back button pressed and focus on pressing the shutter when needed and know the focus will be right.
It’s a personal preference, the only person who knows whether it’ll work for you is you.
There’s no ‘right’ except what’s right for you.
Oh, I know exactly how bbf works and use it exclusively for everything I do except macro.

Thing is tho in many, probably the majority of your macro photographs your focus is out, albeit often only slightly, so it's clearly not working as efficiently as perhaps other methods could. I'm merely suggesting an alternative which if employed might improve a percentage of your shots.

At the end of the day they are your pictures and if you are happy with them, well crack on.

Oh, I know exactly how bbf works and use it exclusively for everything I do except macro.

Thing is tho in many, probably the majority of your macro photographs your focus is out, albeit often only slightly, so it's clearly not working as efficiently as perhaps other methods could. I'm merely suggesting an alternative which if employed might improve a percentage of your shots.

At the end of the day they are your pictures and if you are happy with them, well crack on.
I just took a look at your posts "little moths" for one and if thats the best you can do using your method i will definately stick to BBF but thanks for the suggestion

I just took a look at your posts "little moths" for one and if thats the best you can do using your method i will definately stick to BBF but thanks for the suggestion
Well, they are in focus where they have to be ie eyes, head etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

and im merely suggesting that if it doesnt work for you why will it work for me

Most reactions

New Topics

Back