Milk Drops

Wow that set up is amazing, I really love the pictures also.
Thank you kindly!

For some reason I'm disappointed that they aren't in water, like my mind says wait what's going on. At first glance I didn't notice.
You could simulate it by filling the dish just enough to fill the frame with a liquid base, but still very, very shallow to cause the crown.

I never thought there was so much to water drop photography but I guess if you want to get the really great shot you don't want to be going for 1 out of 10 or 100 I don't know how hard it is to catch it myself.
Well, like they say, timing is everything. lol. I started out by just using the steady drip, drip, drip of a tiny pinhole in a plastic baggie with water in it hung over the setup, then you just sort of count along with it as it splashes into the base, 1, 2, 3, SNAP - and you hit the shutter (remote trigger is even better). That got me some results, but as you said, it's a bit hit or miss. Some results from that baggie method are the last 4 shots in this post: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/213063-watography-playing-water-2.html#post2006400

From there, I decided I wanted more control, so I put together the rig above, and that worked really well to get a consistent shot every time.

Then, I wanted even MORE control, including the ability to get two drips colliding with each other, which is what's going on in my other thread. To do that, I got a more sophisticated trigger timing and liquid valve system setup these days, and it's really outstanding for this sort of thing.

I thank you much for sharing your knowledge with the world!
Always glad to help if I can!

You've inspired me and I'm going to give it a shot, hopefully later I will have some images that are not pitch black.
Looking forward to it! Have fun!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back