What's new

Milky Way in the winter

jesseswll

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone link me or post here an image of the Milky Way in the winter? Like taken in November-January, I'm going to Big Bend sometime next month and I really want to photograph the Milky Way, but I heard you can't get great shots because some of the Milky Way isn't showing or something like that.
 
The center of the Milky way is located in Scorpio/Sagittarius, which are summer constellations (in the northern hemisphere). So, that shiny band of light will not be optimally positioned for you in November. You can download a free planetarium software (such as Stellarium Stellarium) which will show you what you can see from any point on Earth, at any time. Have fun.
 
But do you think I could still get some nice pictures of the Milky Way?
 
But do you think I could still get some nice pictures of the Milky Way?
Well, we're embedded in the Milky Way galaxy, about two-thirds out from the center. So the star clouds are brightest in the constellations of Scorpio, Sagittarius, and Cygnus. Looking away from the center in the opposite direction, you're looking at the constellations of Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Persus, where the density of the stars is much less. Technically, you can get images of the Milky way in those directions, but what everyone oohs and aahs about are the views towards the center (in Scorpio and Sagittarius).
 
But do you think I could still get some nice pictures of the Milky Way?
Well, we're embedded in the Milky Way galaxy, about two-thirds out from the center. So the star clouds are brightest in the constellations of Scorpio, Sagittarius, and Cygnus. Looking away from the center in the opposite direction, you're looking at the constellations of Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Persus, where the density of the stars is much less. Technically, you can get images of the Milky way in those directions, but what everyone oohs and aahs about are the views towards the center (in Scorpio and Sagittarius).

Alright, fair enough. I just can't seem to find any examples of the milky way taken in the winter months. I really want to get a visual idea of what I'll be photographing.
 
I understand wanting to get the Milky Way, it is beautiful.
Can I ask, have you done other night stars and now you want the M.W.? Or is that you are new, and think that is all there is? This is not a sarcastic comment, just learning like you.
I have been to Big Bend, and wow, is it dark there! You will have a wonderful opportunity to photo many great stars!
I have tried stars a few times and am enjoying it.
have fun!
Nancy
 
I understand wanting to get the Milky Way, it is beautiful.
Can I ask, have you done other night stars and now you want the M.W.? Or is that you are new, and think that is all there is? This is not a sarcastic comment, just learning like you.
I have been to Big Bend, and wow, is it dark there! You will have a wonderful opportunity to photo many great stars!
I have tried stars a few times and am enjoying it.
have fun!
Nancy

I started with stars because I lived in a light polluted place, but was out of Houston so I could still see stars. Then I went to Arkansas for vacation and got pictures of the Milky Way, this was in the Summer months. But yeah if the Milky Way isn't going to be in all it's glory that's okay with me, just have to take some nice star pictures.
 
As stated above, download Stellarium and see exact what part of it you will see that that location and time of year. It is true, the best part of it isn't visible for the US until early spring I think. But you can still get some star shots with some of the lighter areas.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom