Minnesota Winter and Fall Landscapes...Please Help Me Decide

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really need opinions on which of these are the best three. Once I decide, I want to enter them in a local landscape contest. I would really appreciate anyone's opinion as to which three I should choose for entries. Please rank them if you like. Thank you for looking! :)

IMG_2715_web.jpg

IMG_2836_web.jpg

IMG_2847_web.jpg

IMG_9350_web.jpg

IMG_9379_web.jpg

IMG_9925_web.jpg

Thanks!

NJ

As a fellow Minnesotan here's my ranking: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1

Great shots, did you apply the polariziation from a filter on your lens or with post processing? Also some of these look like they could be from Winona?

Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan on TPF...

PS: I ranked the ice last as I AM SICK OF WINTER!!!!!

1, 2, 5 for me!

Beautiful shots.

Thanks very much for your input Anty! :)

As a fellow Minnesotan here's my ranking: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1

Great shots, did you apply the polariziation from a filter on your lens or with post processing? Also some of these look like they could be from Winona?

Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan on TPF...

PS: I ranked the ice last as I AM SICK OF WINTER!!!!!

I hear ya about the winter, man. When is it ever going to warm up around here??? To answer your questions, it is post processing, not a filter. And you are close, it's not in Winona, but outside La Crescent on the scenic bluff drive. So technically, yes, because they were taken in Winona County (on the very edge). Thanks for the feedback Joe! :D

#5 first, #4 second - yeah for Minnesota! #1 would be my least favorite also

We're not really helping you, are we?!

(I think of Minnesota as a snowy place in winter, so that's partly why I made the ice shot a top pick. The butterfly shot is stunning, but it's not a landscape shot and doesn't necessarily say 'Minnesota' to me)

#5 first, #4 second - yeah for Minnesota! #1 would be my least favorite also

Thanks for your opinion Kyle. :)

We're not really helping you, are we?!

(I think of Minnesota as a snowy place in winter, so that's partly why I made the ice shot a top pick. The butterfly shot is stunning, but it's not a landscape shot and doesn't necessarily say 'Minnesota' to me)

On the contrary, you are helping me a great deal. I understand that people who live in cold regions really don't care to look at something cold at this time of year, especially when its already April. Curiously enough, I also asked 5 random people that I see almost everyday, and the rankings were interesting. Most people chose the ice landscape as the top pick. So, you just never know.

Wow that first one looks very dramatic to me...( I live in Florida and don't see much ice or snow)

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Wow, it really shows how people think differently in different locations. I love number #1 most cause it is what I think of when I hear Minnesota. We never get to see anything like that down here in Texas.

They really are all beautiful. But if I was being REALLY picky, which you are asking for, I then like #2 second best. The third looks too HDRish and some of the others look just a tad too saturated.

That's just my opinion though. Others may love that look.

Wow, I totally forgot to check back on this post. I see it make its way back to the first page. Geez...sorry about skipping out for a while.

Wow that first one looks very dramatic to me...( I live in Florida and don't see much ice or snow)

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Thanks lockwood! That means a lot. Thanks for your comments. :)

Wow, it really shows how people think differently in different locations. I love number #1 most cause it is what I think of when I hear Minnesota. We never get to see anything like that down here in Texas.

They really are all beautiful. But if I was being REALLY picky, which you are asking for, I then like #2 second best. The third looks too HDRish and some of the others look just a tad too saturated.

That's just my opinion though. Others may love that look.

Thank you very much for your honest opinions Lyncca. Thats exactly what Im looking for. And I agree with you. It was unanimous among several people that #3 is too HDRish for entering in the contest as a landscape. It was also mentioned by many that #1 was a good choice for representing Minnesota. #2 was also a favorite among many. #4 and #5 were just lacking in original composition I felt. Thank you for being picky! :)

So how did it go, NJMAN? Did you enter one? Which one?

Thank you for checking back Anty! Sorry it took me so long to reply back. The contest is underway and I entered my choices. I was allowed to enter 3 images. Here is what I decided, based on feedback from everyone here, and also opinions of several friends who dont do photography. I chose to submit #1, #2, and #6. I should hear the results by June 15. Wish me luck!

They are all good.

I would have picked 1, 4 and 6.

6 is probably my favorite. But only barely over 4. Both have great colors, but the butterfly stands out as unique.

2 I would not include because of the rainbow glare on the left center. It's distracting to me.

Oh, that's great that you could enter more than one! 6 is definitely a wonderful shot, it just didn't say 'Minnesota' to me. But since more than one entry was allowed, it's definitely one that should be included (imho)

They are all good.

I would have picked 1, 4 and 6.

6 is probably my favorite. But only barely over 4. Both have great colors, but the butterfly stands out as unique.

2 I would not include because of the rainbow glare on the left center. It's distracting to me.

Sorry for not replying to this before. Thank you farmerj for your feedback. I really appreciate that!

Oh, that's great that you could enter more than one! 6 is definitely a wonderful shot, it just didn't say 'Minnesota' to me. But since more than one entry was allowed, it's definitely one that should be included (imho)

Thanks again Anty!

.... I chose to submit #1, #2, and #6. I should hear the results by June 15. Wish me luck!

Good choices. Are those oranges?

& good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back